Lee's Reviews > Altered Carbon

Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan

Sep 17, 2010

bookshelves: cyberpunk, science-fiction

A fun fast paced read. Hard-boiled hero in a future where a person's consciousness can be stored in a advanced data chip called a "stack" and "sleeved" into different bodies. Morgan writes a good noir detective story and deftly handles the implications on society of his stack technology. Rated R for sex and violence. His hero is a ex-super special forces soldier who is downloaded into a body to solve a crime for a very rich client. His rich client is hundreds of years old because he has the money to keep a steady supple of new bodies for his use. When one wears out, he moves on to the next one.

Aside from that, the novel is very complex (for a detective thriller). You really have to pay attention to the details or you'll get lost. Even when things are explained, I found myself saying, "Wait a minute--...oh...oh, yeah!...I get it." Even though the book is short in page length, it turned out to be a long read. There was just a lot to absorb in spite of it being a relatively action-packed novel.

Anyway, it was something I enjoyed, and something I would highly recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Altered Carbon.

Quotes Lee Liked

Richard K. Morgan
“The human eye is a wonderful device. With a little effort, it can fail to see even the most glaring injustice.”
Richard K. Morgan, Altered Carbon