Mae's Reviews > Mockingjay

Recommended to Mae by: The Harry Potter Fandom
Recommended for: Everyone who likes Dystopian
Read from March 28 to 29, 2012 — I own a copy

Late review.

I was included in the set of people who waited for this last installment. We were tortured with anxiety, thrown into chaos with anticipation because the cliffhanger from Catching Fire was so cruel. This book didn't fail me of course. The waiting was worth it. But it wasn't worth those pages without Peeta, and without the REAL Peeta.

It wasn't coated with candy romance, it was full-on "what-happens-when-there-is-war" moments, and I appreciate that (by the way this video with Hank Green, will explain the moral implications of the books way better than I will and I completely agree with him). Of course I loved that ending, but for me it's still not enough. Why do authors love to leave it to their readers imagination everything about these epilogues? (Yes, I am talking about Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.) I don't care what you say about, "Oh, it was better that way." Or, "It actually felt more realistic that the author left it at that--" crap. Yeah, right. As if if Collins wrote a 3.5 book about the life of Katniss and Peeta after the war, you wouldn't read it. Stop being such a hypocrite.

So oui, I want more on that 2-page-epilogue. Everything, right from the start, was already devastating and cruel, so a full-blast epilogue with more details would've been welcomed. One of the reasons why I only gave it a 4-star rating (Peeta's absence, Katniss-- still undecided and more wavering included.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.

03/29/2012 page 455