Maria Rose's Reviews > Breaking the Bachelor

Breaking the Bachelor by Maggie Kelley

bookshelves: fully-reviewed-books, 4-star-reads, second-chance-or-reunion-romance

This sexy contemporary romance is the story of Jane and Charlie. Friends since childhood who had a fling that Jane ended abruptly without an explanation to Charlie, she now needs his help for her matchmaking business. She's been goaded publicly into promising she can make a love match for anyone, including confirmed bachelor and well recognized bartender Charlie. Given this second chance at being in Jane's life, and with the thought to make her pay for dumping him so abruptly then suddenly showing up in his life again, Charlie is determined to make her see that they have chemistry together and that this can beat any dating algorithm. As Jane sets Charlie up on three dates with women she thinks he'd be compatible with, how long will it be before she realizes that the perfect woman for him is actually herself?

I really enjoyed this story! I loved the setup and the way the plot unfolded. Jane's bright idea to set Charlie up with 3 blind dates begins to backfire on her as she realizes that seeing him with other women isn't actually what she wants after all. Yet with her company on the line, she's determined to try her best. Jane was a fun and feisty woman and I loved the witty banter between her and Charlie. Charlie is an equally engaging character, strong, dependable and missing his one time best friend. He loves being back in Jane's life even if he believes her motivation is short sighted. The sexual attraction between them is sizzling and leads to some hot and sexy love scenes. One of the story ideas that I really appreciated was that while Charlie is friends with Jane's brother Nick, there is none of that "don't touch my sister or I'll have to kill you" machismo. Instead, Nick is supportive of Charlie and believes he is good enough for his sister and that Charlie's best approach would be to tell Jane how he really feels about her (though first Charlie will have to admit that to himself). That was a refreshing change from the way the 'best friend's sister' trope usually plays out.

The secondary characters in the story, in particular Jane's aforementioned brother Nick and her dating company rival Adam added some humourous moments and I'm definitely hoping to see more of them in future stories. Overall I found it an entertaining and fun read. 4 stars!

Note: a copy of this story was provided by the publisher via NetGalley for review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breaking the Bachelor.

March 7, 2015 – Shelved