Harry Connolly's Reviews > Bucket Nut

Bucket Nut by Liza Cody

Part comedy, part tragedy, this book follows one Eva Wylie, a big ugly brute of a woman trying to make a name for herself as a baddie in professional wresting. She wrestles under the name of the London Lassassin, but her (anti-)fans call her Bucket Nut.

She lives for their boos and their insults, but she's living a marginal life. After a childhood spent in foster homes and years living homeless, she's only now beginning to put her life together, with a job watching over a junkyard, petty theft, and running errands for a local gangster.

Then everything goes to hell and Eva finds herself caught in a war between rival gangs.

The real appeal here is Eva's voice, which comes across as loud and brutish even on the page. It's not often readers get a crime novel where the POV character is as clumsy and comically clueless as this one. Everything has to be explained to her, because she's always looking elsewhere when important clues pop up.

There are two more in this series but I don't think I'll continue reading it. I enjoyed this one, and I liked the way it ended. I'm satisfied.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bucket Nut.

Finished Reading