Bradley's Reviews > Nemesis Games

Nemesis Games by James S.A. Corey

bookshelves: sci-fi, space-opera, worldbuilding-sf, biopunk, 2018-shelf
Read 2 times. Last read October 8, 2018 to October 12, 2018.

Re-Read: 10/11/18:

Shit. I said everything I wanted to say in my old review. It's still a stirring adventure for each of the characters as they split up and eventually came back together.

Truly a character-driven novel this time, though. Not much alien stuff. Just humans doing the god-awful crap they do. :)

Old review:

This was one hell of an easy read. I got sucked back into the characters as if I had never left and was delighted to see that they shone brighter than in several of the previous novels. They're back in the Solar System. The main crew got a hell of a lot of face time. If it isn't enough that this qualifies as a wonderful character-driven adventure, then rest assured. It's still all about the big ideas, big events, and big space.

The pacing is near perfect on this one. I never once had to force myself to pay closer attention. Indeed, the revelations kept everything pumping. Every character is evolving, growing older or wiser. The novel has struck a perfect balance in this. Hell, I'm just tickled pink that it turned out to be a better novel than Cibola Burn. There weren't any moments where I wondered why we were spending time on one thing or another instead of the big action. The threads in this novel were woven so nicely that I swear I saw a bow. What was inside, you ask? Oh, Bobby is back! And don't forget Fred or our absolute favorite foul-mouthed politician. It was a perfect gift for me, the reader, and I've got to shout out to Daniel and Ty: "Thank you!"

This is fifth novel in the Expanse is so very worthy, I have to say it easily nudges out the third and forth novels in being my favorites, but it does somewhat lack in the sense of grand mystery that those had developed. I mean the grand scope of mystery, the big scary objects, or the ominous death of so many intelligent species. Instead, we've got very human tragedy and a very interesting power grab in the local system, not to mention mysteries closer to home for our main characters which feel more important, somehow, than the mind-blowing ones.

I can easily say this satisfied my deep craving for truly excellent space opera. So many tend to have holes that that suck my attention into the void, requiring me to spend a ton of reaction mass to get back on track. It's a delight to have one that shows me so much love.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nemesis Games.

March 7, 2015 – Shelved
June 29, 2015 – Finished Reading
October 8, 2018 – Started Reading
October 12, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018-shelf
October 12, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

MadProfessah Just wait until the TV series starts on SyFy in December!

message 2: by Hobart (new)

Hobart read #1 a few years ago, really liked it--but remember so little of it. Am intimidated about trying it again -- if only these books were smaller!

Bradley I know. I've got it watchlisted. I only worry that SyFy is going to fuck it up. :)

And as for being intimidated, I doubt you'll have much issue picking it up after being away for a long time. The authors are really rather good about sneaking in recaps so they don't even feel like recaps. Their writing is very smooth. Either that, or each novel can be treated as a good novel in it's own right.

Still, bet there's a wiki out there that gives you the lowdown about the big happenings, like the runaway protomolecule turning the planetoid into a living missile, what happens to Venus, what happens to Ganymede, and later, when there's a rush to the outer system for the artifact, the establishment of a humungous base of operations out there, or the diaspora. And then there's Cibola Burn which doesn't even take place in the solar system, but evokes a few oh shit moments before we return to the solar system for this novel and see everything else fall apart.

That's it in a nutshell, and it's delicious every step of the way, because first and foremost, it's a character-driven series. It makes all the difference in the world.

message 4: by Hobart (new)

Hobart true, true...allrighty, you've convinced me. Caliban's War goes on the TBR pile

Cathy What a ride, this is fabulous! (7 hours into the audiobook)

Bradley Right? :) :)

message 7: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Hiller I was looking for some good SF for my dad and I was thinking of going to the library for this series, but it's been tough locating number one. Are they stand alone enough to start in the middle of the series?

Bradley Hmmm. I would say no. This one is great for big happenings carrying forward, but in theory, I guess you could work out what happened after the fact. I wouldn't, tho.

Leviathan Wakes was pretty fantastic.

That being said, this is a fantastic Space Opera. :)