C.G. Drews's Reviews > Every Breath

Every Breath by Ellie Marney

bookshelves: 5-star, best-of-2015, thriller-crime, young-adult, read-2015, retelling, aussie-authors

I ABSOLUTELY LOVED AND ADORED THIS WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL BOOK. I put off reading it for a few stupid reasons (yes, I am ashamed) mostly that a) I totally adore Sherlock Holmes and I didn't want to read a bad retelling, b) the cover is horrendous [sorry], and c) the title does nothing for me. So basically I'm very shallow. BUT ANYWAY! The book was incredible and I should never have hesitated. Basically, Ella and Emily? I should've listened to you. I will forever. I PROMISE.

It was a perfect Sherlock adaption. Mostly because it was really realistic. It wasn't about two kids who intentionally solve crimes...they kind of fell into a murder of a homeless guy that they knew and wouldn't let it go. And they constantly defer to the actual Sherlock. They're not BEING a young version. They're just two kids whose last names happen to be Mycroft and Watts and Mycroft is insanely good at forensics (and a bit of an eccentric genius) while Rachel Watts has a knack for medicine. I loved the parallels.

And it's so so very Australian. WHICH JUST FILLS ME WITH IMMENSE JOY. The entire book is loaded with MY LANGUAGE. They use arvo and bikkie and cuppa and they phrase sentences like I do. And they call Rachel "Rache" for short (which is what my oldest sister gets called) aaaaand relatable emotion isn't their strong point. But they family dynamics are very fierce and loyal. I LOVE HOW AUSTRALIAN IT IS, OKAY?!

And the characters...omg, best. characters. ever. It's narrated by Rachel, who is AWESOME. She's a bit of an open book, and she sometimes gets smothered in disbelief and righteousness, but at the end of the day...she's a ripper of a friend. She really misses her home, and I totally related to her on that level. Not that I used to live in the country, BUT. I did live in a teeny tiny town and then moved to a city, and it really does affect you. AND RACHEL SO SUMMED UP MY FEELINGS PERFECTLY. Then there was adorable, eccentric Mycroft. He's not quite as narcissistic as the original Sherlock, which was actually refreshing. He claims to be a social moron, BUT, he makes friends with just about anyone and everyone. Literally every second person he's like, "Oh, hallo, Bob" and it always stumps Rachel how he just KNOWS everyone. But Mycroft is adorable. He's just jfalkdasd. He has a tragic past and he forgets to eat, and he notices everything, and he has scars, and he pretends his life is fine, but he huuurts. THE BABY HURTS. Plus he and Rachel have one of the most fantastic friendships of EVER. Although, um, you can tell from, like pg. 2 that it's not going to stay platonic forever. And that's okay! I loved them as friends first, and I can ship them as a couple.

The only things I didn't like?
- The book starts off with this confusing after-fight scene and I still have no idea what happened.
- I don't know HOW Rachel and Mycroft met. I don't know if I'm supposed to know, if it was brushed over, or if it doesn't matter. But I'm cuuuurious.

BUT OTHERWISE? I AM A BILLION PERCENT IN LOVE WITH THIS BOOK. I need the rest of the trilogy ASAP. I loved the mystery, I loved the deductions, I loved how it was all so realistic and VERY Australian, and I loved the character exuberant amounts. EVERYONE SHOULD GO READ THIS BOOK NOW NOW NOW.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Breath.

March 6, 2015 – Shelved
March 6, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
March 12, 2015 – Started Reading
March 12, 2015 –
page 80
23.46% "Oh OH they're speaking my language. THEY"RE USING AUSSIE SLANG AND IT'S JUST GLORIOUS."
March 12, 2015 –
page 155
45.45% "I quite adore these characters. I QUITE WOULD LIKE TO HUG THEM."
March 12, 2015 – Shelved as: 5-star
March 12, 2015 – Shelved as: best-of-2015
March 12, 2015 – Shelved as: thriller-crime
March 12, 2015 – Shelved as: young-adult
March 12, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2015
March 12, 2015 – Shelved as: retelling
March 12, 2015 – Finished Reading
July 18, 2016 – Shelved as: aussie-authors

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)

Emily Mead YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY SO HAPPY OMGGGGG SEE THIS IS WHY YOU MUST ALWAYS LISTEN TO ME. Lol, I made the same comment about the title and the cover when it first came out. #shallow

Now you must read the other two :D

Ella AND THIS IS WHY YOU SHOULD ALWAYS ALWAYS ALLLLLLWAYS TRUST MY OPINION!! (And Emily's, but mostly mine because REASONS.) I AM GOING TO HOLD YOU TO THAT PROMISE FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE SEE IF I DON'T. XDDDD

But YAAAAAAY, Ohhhhhh I'm just so glad you loved it!!! XDDDDDD I was afraid you might not like it and then I'd have gotten horribly upset and wanted to bodily harm you. ;') BUT YOU DIDN'T! SO CELEBRATION ABOUND!!!! *slaps sticky cake in your hair* RIGHT NOW GO AND GET A COPY OF EVERY WORD.

message 3: by Leah (new)

Leah My God, your reviews are so incredibly entertaining. So glad I added you and now I'm checking out all the books that you like.

C.G. Drews @Emily: We clearly can just be shallow together. XD YESSSS I WILL NEVER DOUBT YOU AGAIN, I PROMISE.

@Ella: YES YES I KNOW, I LEARNT MY LESSON OKAY?! I WAS A CUCUMBER HEAD AND NOW I'M REPENTANT. And yaaaaay, I'm glad you won't inflict grievous bodily harm on me. THANK YOU. I appreciate it. *nods*

@Leah: AWWWW. That completely made my day, tHANK YOU. xD

message 5: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Ryland I just downloaded this and I have the next book and I'm very excited. And I wondered if it had to do with Sherlock....

message 6: by Yomi (new)

Yomi Are you going to read the whole series?

C.G. Drews @Jen: It is literally perfection. OMG THE CHARACTERS ARE ADORABLE.

@Yomi: YES DEFINITELY!

C.G. Drews @Shirley: Yay! I'm so glad!

Rachel's Book Reviews @CaitGrace : hmmm...color me intrigued.

message 10: by Zoe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zoe LOL...the beginning was a bit confusing, wasn't it? I still don't know what happened. BUT OMG THE ENDING. I still have goosebumps from the whole (view spoiler) scene.

Princess X Guys I'm friends with Ellie, and I'm best friends with her son alex

Princess X She's an amazing person and her new book will be released soon!!

message 13: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Princess: I didn't know she was releasing a new book?! Omg!

Rachel's Book Reviews ....You know, I think I might have this on my kindle. Maybe not...but..

Rachel's Book Reviews lol, never mind, I can't afford to own it XD

message 16: by Nikita (new) - added it

Nikita the bookworm I WANT IT!

message 17: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Nikita: YOU NEED IT.

message 18: by Nitzan (new) - added it

Nitzan Schwarz Cait, did you get a physical copy of this one? I have wanted to read this for so long but I can't find an ebook copy :<

message 19: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews Nitzan wrote: "Cait, did you get a physical copy of this one? I have wanted to read this for so long but I can't find an ebook copy :<"

Yeah mine's a physical AUS edition. It might not be in ebook. :/