Bonnie's Reviews > The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet

The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell

Sep 16, 2010

bookshelves: fiction, pacific-islands, dutch-indies, 2011, addresses-race-issue, book-club, historical-fiction, indonesia, japanese, the-netherlands, love-story, quite-a-read
Recommended to Bonnie by: Book-a-Day Calendar
Recommended for: historical fiction lovers who can handle an erudite book
Read in May, 2011 — I own a copy

A historical fiction, the first for this author. It takes place in Batavia, now called Jakarta, Indonesia, when the Japanese island was under Dutch rule. A young clerk leaves his homeland to make his way in the world so that he might return after 5 years to marry his love, Anna. Instead he falls in love with a scholarly Japanese midwife whose face is half burned. The book is full of brawls, and ships and cannons and trickery and love and redemption.

Beautifully poetic, brilliantly written. I took the author years to finish it. All of the five books that he's written have been up for prizes, or at least four of them, but I think all. Two for the Man Booker. Time Magazine called him one of the 100 most influential people in the world and he's only 41 years old.

Tbis book is bigger than I am; a true tome.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet.

Sarah Your review is great. I should have done more research myself. I'm not surprised it took him so long to write it! It's hard to imagine one of my peers writing something so in depth.