Aditi's Reviews > The Whispering Wind: Two Lives, One Heartbreaking Story

The Whispering Wind by Lexa Dudley

bookshelves: sardinia, my-reviews, london-england, italy, historical-fiction, family, contemporary-romance

“Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings.”
----Anaïs Nin, a French-born novelist, passionate eroticist and short story writer

Lexa Dudley, an English author, penned her debut book, The Whispering Wind: Two Lives, One Heartbreaking Story , that revolves around a small Italian island, Sardinia.

Synopsis:

The Whispering Wind is a moving story of two lovers, set on the beautiful island of Sardinia, where Elise goes on holiday to escape a loveless and violent marriage. Whilst there, she meets and falls in love with Beppe, a local Sard. Despite religious and cultural complications, they embark on a romantic and passionate affair. Beppe shows Elise his island and introduces her to the welcoming culture of the Sardinians and Elise soon falls under the spell of both the island and its people. But after weeks of blissful happiness, Elise has to return unexpectedly to England to face all the problems she had been so desperate to leave behind.

The Whispering Wind is that kind of book which will bring out the deepest pain from our soul and will manage to transform that pain into something beautiful and memorable. Since that is how I felt when I read the book.

Elise, a young and married English woman, take a trip all by herself to an Italian island, Sardinia. To get away from her abusive husband, William, Elise decides to take a break from her marital issues before going for a divorce. But her stay at Sardinia turns out to be something enchanting and fateful for her. Not only Elise was struck by the beauty of this small and lonely island, but also fell in love with the warmth of the local people of Sardinia called, Sards. Little did she knew that her trip to Sardinia would turn out to be lucky for her, as she fell head-over-heels-in-love with a local Sard, Beppe. Their love was not something filled with lust and passion, but their love was something pure and deep with intensity. But Sard people are quite traditional and since it was 1969, modern values like getting married to a divorced woman was still not acceptable in the society. Their love story comes to a halt when Elise had to return back to England due to her mother's illness, but will she come back? Will they find each other in their arms?

The author have spun a heart-touching and deeply moving love-story. The author's portrayal of this island, Sardinia makes me feel like she loves this island like her own home. With her eloquent words, I too can feel the warmth of the Sards like Maria, and the rest. The picture of Sardinia that she painted with her words is vivid, lively and very visual. I was not only transported to the picturesque island, but I could sniff the salty breeze and the sweetness of the wine on my tongue. I could even hear the birds singing and the waves crashing by the shore. And as Beppe and Elise's love story evolved, Sardinia bloomed like a flower.

The author did a great job on crafting the characters with depth and compassion. And their warm demeanor will make you feel like as if you are home. Elise, the main character, is strong willed woman, who fought a lot in her life, yet she stood still. Their narrative is striking and captivating. The prose is articulate and evocative with a rather fast pace. And the plot unraveled like something you need to devour for a longer time, rather than reading it in a haste, since the plot is constantly evolving and the beauty of Sardinia along with Elise's pain and sorrow keeps us engaged to the sore of the story. The chemistry between Beppe and Elise is not lusty yet it's very enriching. The emotions are strongly depicted with intricacy. The first part of the book is enchanting yet poignant, and in the second part, there is a mystery to unlock, although, we know the real culprit who caused the pain between Elise and Beppe, but the way the author unraveled it, made us gripped to the story. And surely, the second half brought a lot of tears to my eyes. I started hating the author for turning her story into something irrevocably painful.
All in all, Sardinia's beauty will bewitch you and the book will make you itch to take a trip to this elegant island, Sardinia.

Verdict: This book proves why pain demands to be felt and if you want to experience a unique combination of beauty and pain, then do read this compelling love story.

Courtesy: Thanks to the author, Lexa Dudley, for giving me an opportunity to read and review her book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Whispering Wind.

March 6, 2015 – Started Reading
March 9, 2015 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
March 9, 2015 – Shelved as: family
March 9, 2015 – Shelved as: contemporary-romance
March 9, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

Aj the Ravenous Reader What a beautiful review on a such beautiful story!^^ Thanks for the rec, Aditi. I'll put this in my list.^^

Aditi Aj the Ravenous Reader wrote: "What a beautiful review on a such beautiful story!^^ Thanks for the rec, Aditi. I'll put this in my list.^^"

Thanks AJ, yeah it's a beautiful yet a heart-breaking story!

Aj the Ravenous Reader Aditi wrote: "Thanks AJ, yeah it's a beautiful yet a heart-breaking st..."

You're welcome, Aditi. It seems like most beautiful stories have to be heartbreaking. I guess it's true there is beauty in pain.^^

Aditi Aj the Ravenous Reader wrote: "Aditi wrote: "Thanks AJ, yeah it's a beautiful yet a heart-breaking st..."

I can't agree with you more! :-) They call it "devastatingly beautiful!"

Aj the Ravenous Reader Ah, yes! These authors pass up for that: Jojo Moyes, John Green, Colleen Hoover, Cecelia Ahern, Nicolas Sparks, Jodi Picoult, Cassandra Clare. ^^

Aditi Aj the Ravenous Reader wrote: "Ah, yes! These authors pass up for that: Jojo Moyes, John Green, Colleen Hoover, Cecelia Ahern, Nicolas Sparks, Jodi Picoult, Cassandra Clare. ^^"

Yeah! :-)

message 8: by Marga (new)

Marga You always write the most beautiful review, Aditi. Thanks for the rec!! <3

Aditi Marga wrote: "You always write the most beautiful review, Aditi. Thanks for the rec!! <3"

Thanks so much Marga! and my pleasure :-) <3

Aj the Ravenous Reader Marga wrote: "You always write the most beautiful review, Aditi. Thanks for the rec!! <3"

I couldn't agree more, Marga!^^

Aditi Aj the Ravenous Reader wrote: "Marga wrote: "You always write the most beautiful review, Aditi. Thanks for the rec!!

I couldn't agree more, Marga!^^"

:-) Thanks AJ, you're such a sweet human being! :-)

message 12: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah Lovely review Aditi ♡

Aditi Sarah wrote: "Lovely review Aditi ♡"

Thanks Sarah

message 14: by Adriana (new) - added it

Adriana Girolami Wonderful review Aditi, will read the book, since I love the rocky, stunning landscape of Sardinia, so different to the lush greenery of Italy! :)

Aditi Adriana wrote: "Wonderful review Aditi, will read the book, since I love the rocky, stunning landscape of Sardinia, so different to the lush greenery of Italy! :)"

Thanks :-)