Tanya's Reviews > Labor Day

Labor Day by Joyce Maynard

Sep 16, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: 2010-books, book-club-reads

While the story took place over six days, it almost felt longer because so much happened in the course of that short week. I hadn't ever really read a book that had the perspective of a boy on the verge of adolescence as the narrator - I found it interesting to deal with emotions and circumstances from his point of view.

The story makes me believe in true love and destiny--that a certain path must be followed to lead you exactly where you are supposed to be--though there may be significant pain along the way. You've just got to have faith - not only in yourself, but also in others.

Some quotes I liked:

P. 235 "As you get older, it's nice to think you might have contributed some small piece of wisdom or know-how to someone, somewhere along the line."

p. 240 "And it has been my experience that when you do this--slow down, pay attention, follow the simple instincts of love--a person is likely to respond favorably. It is generally true of babies, and most other people too, perhaps. Also dogs. Hamsters even. And people so damaged by life in the world that there might seem no hope for them, only there may be."

My neighbor is hosting this month's book club review of Labor Day; I'll be making a peach-raspberry pie to sample as we chat about the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Labor Day.