Taneika's Reviews > Illuminae

Illuminae by Amie Kaufman

bookshelves: aussie-ya, faves

This is one of the most hyped up books EVER so I was actually kinda hesitant to pick it up. BUT WOW. This book was absolutely wonderful. It took me a while to get into the first 100 pages or so, but after that, I absolutely flew threw it.

Illuminae (sorry, Illumin-YAY) consists entirely of pictures, diagrams, transcripts of recordings, interviews, instant messages, and the like. IT MADE A 600 PAGE BOOK (which I think very FEW books get away with that length) FEEL SO SHORT.

This is the story of a teenage girl named Kady, and a boy named Ezra who, along with the rest of their planet, are forced to flee their home on Kerenza IV when a mega corporation comes along and tries to get their hands on what is being illegally mined on the tiny little planet. This mega corporation, Bei-Tech end up going after the fleets of civilians in order to destroy any evidence of them trying to illegally mine stuff.

Okay, so that was a really shitty summary BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THE CHARACTERS AND THE ATMOSPHERE YOU GET FROM THIS BOOK ARE WHAT MATTERS.

I was unsure if I'd like Kady, I mean, the teenager who is SOMEHOW a super genius hacker??? It's a trope I'm tired of seeing and it's barely ever pulled off well. But Kady stands out from the rest, I loved how sarcastic, blunt and flawed she was, she was strong and clever and loving. Her relationship with Ezra, while starting off rocky - because they kinda broke up before their home planet was invaded - was absolutely gorgeous and heart wrenching. Yes, it was super cheesy at parts but I LIKE cheesy, and teenagers (and adults for that matter) ARE CHEESY.
I have to say though, my favourite character was the AI - AIDEN. I know AIDEN is a psychopathic COMPUTER but the way this freaking computer interacted with each of the characters and the dialogue between Kady and AIDEN in particular, was so well done.

Everything in Illuminae starts off as something relatively small, and then it just grows and grows until it's blows up in your face and you're wondering how you've gone through 400 pages in what feels like an hour. Everything is incredibly atmospheric, I found myself incredibly freaked out in parts and the way this is written and put together in pieces, makes you feel so deeply involved.

I don't know why it took me so long to pick this book up, but it was magnificent.

For more bookish things from me, check out my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/flippingthr...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Illuminae.

March 5, 2015 – Shelved
March 5, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
August 11, 2015 – Shelved as: aussie-ya
May 23, 2016 – Started Reading
May 23, 2016 –
page 100
16.69% "I figured it was about time I finally picked this up and while it took me a bit to get into, IT'S GETTING REALLY GOOD"
May 24, 2016 –
page 125
May 24, 2016 –
page 195
32.55% "She might be snarky/withdrawn but I REALLY like Kady"
page 345
page 408
page 486
May 27, 2016 – Shelved as: faves
May 27, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Natalia Yay, I'm glad that you decided to pick it up and loved it. I can't wait for the next edition :D

Natalia *installment

Manda (The Glittery Nerd) Yay I'm so glad you loved it!!

Elise (On The Bookshelves) I think I am going to read this next month!

Molly I wish more books were told in this style! And the fact that a 600 page book felt like nothing. You fly through those pages!