Steph's Reviews > Girl, Stolen

3192797
Sep 16, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: 2010, reviewed

I received this book for free as a review copy from the Goodreads First Reads program. This in no way affected my opinion of the book.

I thoroughly enjoyed Girl, Stolen and read the bulk of it in one sitting. What initially drew me to the book was the cover art. I really like the symbolism of the little girl covering her eyes, most of us do it when afraid, but for the heroine of the story it is something she must live with every day as a blind person. Cheyenne does find herself in a terrifying situation, she is kidnapped and held captive by four men, but she has no need to cover her eyes since an accident has caused her to lose her sight. She must rely on her intelligence and her other senses in order to make it out alive.

I think this is a very gripping young adult novel and young people will find a character they can relate to in Cheyenne Wilder. While I didn't find this to be a life-changing novel myself, in my opinion this book is best suited for its intended audience of teenagers (some YA books can cross this line while others do not), it definitely opened my eyes to a lot of things that I didn't know about blind people. I think it is a worthy read (for anyone) for the insight it offers into the life of someone who is living without their sight.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl, Stolen.

September 16, 2010 – Shelved
October 17, 2010 – Started Reading
November 6, 2010 –
page 28
November 21, 2010 – Shelved as: 2010
November 21, 2010 – Finished Reading
April 14, 2015 – Shelved as: reviewed

Brianna Eldredge Steph, I really like the way you express your opinion about the book. My english class had a reading project and I have to comment on one person's review for the book Girl Stolen. I chose yours out of all the ones I read because we have very similar opinions. The cover of the book is what drew me in too. We know right off the bat that Cheyenne is completely blind, so I feel as if we both saw the symbolism in the cover photo. I read this book fairly quick because of how much I read at once. It was so hard to put down, I completely agree with you on that as well. Overall we had the same opinions, but I'm a bit confused with your last statement. There wasn't much to learn about a blind person, that isn't already obvious. We learn how intelligent Cheyenne is, but that doesn't show us the lives of blind people because this is an extraordinary circumstance that doesn't relate to others without eyesight. This novel is written not to teach us about being blind, but for the thrill of the crime. However, we both believe it was a great book and I'm glad you liked it as well as I did!

message 2: by Steph (last edited Dec 12, 2016 06:13AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Steph Hi Brianna! Welcome to Goodreads.

It has been several years since I've read this book so my memory is foggy! While you're right and this is a more extraordinary circumstance I believe we were still able to garner insight into the ways blind people face their day to day lives in general. The little ways they learn to move around the fact that they're blind and adapt. The ways they work around their disability in order to move, interact with others, and to view the world without visual ability.

Glad you enjoyed the book! Keep reading and hopefully you stick around Goodreads outside of class. It's a great community.