Dubi Kanengisser's Reviews > Our Endless Numbered Days

Our Endless Numbered Days by Claire Fuller

Mar 05, 2015

bookshelves: fiction, favorites

Wow, what an emotional ride! The book starts slow -- really slow, too slow for me, actually. 15% in and I was almost ready to give up on it, but soon enough the book picks up and become a roiling story of an innocent caught within the web of lies weaved around her.
Peggy Hillcoat lives in London with her German pianist mother and her survivalist ("retreater") father, when one day while her mother is away on the road, her father decides to take her on a vacation in a cabin in the woods that she knows as "die Hutte". But upon arrival at the cabin after weeks of hiking, Peggy realizes her father has no plans of ever going back. She spends the next 9 years living with her father in a remote cabin, believing the world outside their little corner has been destroyed in a cataclysm.
The book oscillates between the post-apocalyptic narrative dictated by her father and the true story as the reader knows is it - the book starts off with Peggy back at home. Peggy's ways of coping with her situation, both physically and psychologically, make for an emotional read that surpasses so much of the literature out these days which attempts to achieve a similar effect using much cruder tools.
Fuller's writing is precise, patient and clever. It's quite amazing for a debut, and I look forward to her next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Our Endless Numbered Days.

March 5, 2015 – Shelved