Yibbie's Reviews > Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ

Ben-Hur by Lew Wallace

did not like it
bookshelves: classics

Wallace's style is engaging, and his descriptions of the area are so clear you can easily picture Ancient Rome or Judah. The research seems quite accurate as to the customs of the time and place. He was a very good author.
I don't think his handling of Biblical characters was appropriate. There was just to much dialog and to many extra-biblical scenes. The Bible is the Word of God and only through it we have eternal life. We must be very careful in our handling of it. Especially if we are trying to tell others of Jesus. We are even warned in the Bible about adding to or subtracting from it. (Deuteronomy 4:2, 12:32, Proverbs 30:6,Rev 22:18-19) It is to easy to stray from true biblical teaching without adding to it mans imaginings.
The worst thing though was his omitting the Resurrection. That is why Jesus came. He came to redeem us from death and to conquer death. If Jesus didn't rise from the dead, we have no salvation. "And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.'(1 Corinthians 15:17) Very sad omission.
Then after I had finished the book, I found out that Judah was supposedly based on a Biblical character himself. So this book could be summed up as a man's wild imaginings about a little known character in the Bible.(Mark 14:51-52)
It is not worth the reading. If you want to know Jesus read the scriptures. "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.'(John 5:39)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ben-Hur.

Finished Reading
March 5, 2015 – Shelved as: classics
March 5, 2015 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Liz Janet (new)

Liz Janet The bible has been edited throughout the history of the world. Passages have been taken out and added according to the translation. So him taking some liberties is not the worst to have happened to the bible.

Yibbie There really isn't any evidence that the Bible has been altered. The Dead Sea scrolls showed the world that the Old Testament has not changed in thousands of years. There are enough manuscripts of the New Testament extant, to show that it has not changed since it was written. Then there is the archaeological evidence showing it is accurate when it speaks of people and places. The poor translations, and incomplete manuscripts do not out weigh the evidence that the Bible has been preserved for us.
That is just the physical evidence. God promised that His Word was settled in Heaven and it will not change till it has accomplished it's purpose (Psalm 119:89, Matthew :18).
I object to Wallace's imaginings, because they shift peoples focus from the saving message of the Bible to mere entertainment. Eternity is to important to trifle with. God gave us what we need to be saved and warned us repeatedly not too add to His Word for in it we have the offer of eternal life.
I would recommend reading Many Infallible Proofs by Dr. Henry M. Morris, Nothing But The Truth by Brian H. Edwards, Touch Not the Unclean Thing by David H. Sorenson. This is an issue that we should not pass over lightly. Since it is our Eternity in question, it would be best for us to search earnestly for the Truth.