C.G. Drews's Reviews > Bone Gap

Bone Gap by Laura Ruby

bookshelves: 5-star, best-of-2015, magical-fantasy, read-2015, young-adult, foodie-fiction, read-2017, reread
Read 2 times. Last read March 3, 2017 to March 4, 2017.

REREAD UPDATE

So basically this book is my favourite and I can't even describe all the feels it gives me. I just am so entranced by the magical realism, slightly odd dusty and cornfield filled town of Bone Gap with it's strange beautifulness. And the characters. THE CHARACTERS. I can't even say how much I love Finn. <3 I relate to him so much ajfdksald and just the way the story twists and the whimsical tone...and ajfkdslad AFJSDKALFDJ.

Woooooords fail. I love it too much. TOO MUCH.

I also really like how it's about how you see people. And how you can look at a person and not see them. Or you can never look someone in the eyes, but you really truly see them. About how seeing a person isn't just what they look like.

YA. I GOT NO WORDS. THIS BOOK IS TOO BEAUTIFUL AND I LOVE FINN AN EXTRAORDINARY AMOUNT.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: OCTOBER, 2015 :
oooooow DO I DO WORDS?!?!? All I want to say is I have just read the most marvellous of book and please...just drop everything and read it now and flail with me forever because THIS BOOK IS SO INCREDIBLY SUFFOCATINGLY GOOD. I'm having so much emotions right now I think my brain will explode. MY ENTIRE SELF WILL EXPLODE. I love this book. It reminded me of Maggie Stiefvater and Moïra Fowley-Doyle smushed together into this INCREDIBLE masterpiece.

Excuse me. I HAVE FORGOTTEN HOW TO WORD.

Okay, okay, let me try to explain why I loved it so much. And I shall use a list because lists are freaking fantastic.

• It is written so suffocatingly gorgeously. SERIOUSLY. I NEED AIR. It's whimsical and beautiful and it uses the perfectest of words. It's like honey and corn and gardens and green and bones and gaps. I can't even explain it okay? IT'S JUST THAT BEAUTIFUL.

• Then the characters melted my little soul into a puddle of intense honeyed feels. I LOVED THEM ALL SO MUCH. It's basically narrated by Finn but we get a lot of other perspectives too (all in 3rd person). And I adored it. It felt so natural and flowing. I adored the complexities. AGH. How do I even sum up all the characters?!? There's Roza who is kind of the catalyst of this book. SHE IS MISSING. And no one believes Finn when he says he saw her kidnapped. Then there's Sean who is Finn's older brother and who loves Roza. He's huge and kind yet hurt and ajfdksalfd Sean bless your little heart. And I couldn't possibly love Petey enough. She's an "ugly" girl who is vinegar to Finn's beautiful-whimsical self. She raises bees and she's so tough and sharp and GAH I LOVED HER. I loved her honest brutality.

• It's about a conglomeration of weird stuff. Like corn and interesting brain conditions and honey and bees and possible magic and summer. It fits. IT WORKS.

• It has this totally lazy summer vibe, but at the same time...it meant so much?! IDEK KNOW HOW TO EXPLAIN IT. But the writing totally got into my bones and I couldn't stop hugging the book.

• It's not MAGICAL per se...I mean, you could see it from several angles. It could be magical, or it could be about delusions? And I LOVE those kind of books. It leaves it open to the reader's interpretation and even though it seemed to fuzz the lines of realism and magic -- i never got lost or floundered or had "huh wut" moments. I felt swept along by the story but never drowned.

• Oh and you have no idea what it's about? Summer. A boy that everyone thinks is insanely weird and a girl who's missing and the possibility of the corn actually whispering to them.

• DID I MENTION IT'S FREAKING BEAUTIFULLY WRITTEN!??!

• And the ships...the ships...omg, I sail them till dawn. I loved the friendships and the romances. I loved how lives entertained and fractured.

• FINN IS EVERYTHING THE ADORABLE GORGEOUS BOY. And I was super intrigued by (view spoiler)

• This is the kind of book that makes me want to work harder at being a writer because THIS WAS SO AMAZING.

• I have literally not negatives. Naaada. Only positives.

• ACTUALLY ONE NEGATIVE: I CAN'T BREATHE bECAUSE IT'S SO SO GOOD.

• Basically if you like your contemporaries with a dash of summer and corn and a whisper of delusions/magic with complex and relatable characters, then go read it. ALSO, IF YOU, LIKE, HAVE A FACE GO READ IT. BECAUSE EVERYONE NEEDS READ IT.

• And also they make smores and dip them in honey and daaaaaaayum if I wasn't allergic to honey I would be so onto that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bone Gap.

March 4, 2015 – Shelved
March 4, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
October 27, 2015 – Started Reading
October 28, 2015 –
page 106
28.42% "I looooove the writing. IT IS SO BEAUTIFUL. I think I want to eat this book."
October 28, 2015 –
page 225
60.32% "I HAVE A SMALL LIST OF QUESTIONS. *unfurls a 90ft long scroll*"
October 29, 2015 – Shelved as: 5-star
July 28, 2016 – Shelved as: foodie-fiction
March 3, 2017 – Started Reading
March 3, 2017 –
page 73
19.57% "yES I am re-reading because this book is too beautiful for this world.

(Pity I'm still deathly allergic to bees. It's ruining the aesthetic of my love for this book dammit.)"
March 4, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
March 4, 2017 – Shelved as: reread
March 4, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

message 1: by Shanti (new) - added it

Shanti You're allergic to honey :'( That's utterly tragic. Honey is good (my uncle has bees, and that honey is wonderful)

message 2: by Elm (new) - added it

Elm I don't understand HOW TO LIFE, I need to read this so badly! ARGH!

C.G. Drews @Shanti: Ikr? It is so awful. *cries piteously for self*

@Elm: YOU NEED IT. YOU DO. TRUST ME. AJDKFLASD

message 4: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Ryland Definitely one of my favorites of 2015!

C.G. Drews @Jen: Omg, you too?! I AM SO GLAD.

message 6: by Bee (new) - added it

Bee So... I'm guessing that I have to read this one? That's just a guess though, I could be wrong.

I really need to go rob a bank or something so I can buy all the books you tell me to read. Made You Up, the other one with something red in the title, this one,... Gahhh

message 7: by Zoe (new) - rated it 2 stars

Zoe LOL - it's always magical realism we don't twin on! ;)

C.G. Drews I knooooow. Clearly you need to expand your love of magic, Zoe. ;) XD

C.G. Drews @Bieke: YES. THAT IS A GOOD GUESS. GOOD ON YOU. Blood Red Road. *nods* Get that too. OH and get the sequel while you're at it. AND HAVE YOU READ FANS OF THE IMPOSSIBLE LIFE???! BECAUSE YOU NEED TO.

message 10: by Bee (new) - added it

Bee Cait Grace wrote: "@Bieke: YES. THAT IS A GOOD GUESS. GOOD ON YOU. Blood Red Road. *nods* Get that too. OH and get the sequel while you're at it. AND HAVE YOU READ FANS OF THE IMPOSSIBLE LIFE???! BECAUSE YOU NEED TO."

Well yeah. Like I said, I'd need to rob a bank cause I'm broke. x)

Karina I loved this book!! :) This one is for sure one of my favorite YA 2015 releases :)

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Wow, what a review! Never thought to add this one, but I will now <3

message 13: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars