Louise Parr's Reviews > I Kissed an Earl

I Kissed an Earl by Julie Anne Long

F 50x66

did not like it

I didn't like the main character, but that's just the beginning of my complaints. The year the action took place is not given and the internal evidence is unclear and contradictory. I think it is the early 1820's.
THE BIG COMPLAINT. On page 40 her brother thinks "When and if Violet ever fell in love...tectonic plates would shift..." The theory of tectonic plates was first put forward in 1912, almost 100 years after the action of the book. More, it was met with great ridicule, and not accepted until the 1960's. And yet more, the early nineteenth century, particularly in England, was the scene of great disagreement over geologic theory. Was geologic change the result of catastrophes, like the biblical flood, or the gradual change, like wind erosion of mountains. The furor finally faded when Darwin proposed evolution. Whoops, Lyell didn't publish his treatise on geologic uniformitarianism until 1830. Next time I'll confirm my facts first instead of getting up out of bed!

This is more detail, maybe, than I should expect the writer to know, but it is typical of her, just as the lack of dating is. I might have been able to forgive her if I had liked the book better, but it stopped me with a jolt when I read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Kissed an Earl.

Finished Reading
September 15, 2010 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth I am laughing out loud at your spot-on intellectual analysis of this (?) cheap romance!!! This is just one reason why we love you!

Galina Green OMG, the tectonic plates! I didn't even think about it while I was reading. I was too busy noticing the heroine's wardrobe problems, but that's just brilliant! Thanks for pointing out.