Debbie "Buried in Her TBR Pile"'s Reviews > Forever Betrothed, Never the Bride

Forever Betrothed, Never the Bride by Christi Caldwell

I usually have a problem with modern character behavior/dialogue in a historical romance. This one was done well but a young lady during the regency era would not have been so bold in language with her brother (a Duke) or her betrothed, etc. Of course, her intervention in the mistreatment of others and weekly work at a hospital for wounded soldiers has been done quite a bit (a classic heroine character trait in many books by Dame Barbara Cartland years ago.)

I did appreciate that Emmaline wanted to be a dutiful daughter and uphold a long-standing betrothal contracted by her deceased father and a neighboring Duke. I thought the feelings and characterization of a young girl/woman having lived in the limbo of the situation was very well done, especially with the neglect and attitude of her intended. Emmaline decides to make her play or try to end the contract.

"Do you believe this is the life I want for myself? Do you believe I'd rather know this formal aloofness, than...?" love or passion?

I appreciated Drake's feelings and his consternation over Emmaline considering his feelings of guilt and inadequacy after the war and good case of PTSD.

"I have known since I was a boy the obligations and responsibilities that belong to me as the heir to a dukedom. I do not believe the world revolves around me. I'm relatively powerless in this well-ordered world."

"Have you ever considered...others...might feel the same."

Emmaline's brother (the current Duke) is a good character and showed feelings of concern and love for his sister.

The story is entertaining, heartfelt and sweet. 3.5 rounded stars
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forever Betrothed, Never the Bride.

March 4, 2015 – Shelved