Amber Stokes's Reviews > Pearl in the Sand

Pearl in the Sand by Tessa Afshar

Sep 15, 2010

I'd heard great things about this book, and why I let it languish so long on my bookshelf is a mystery. (I guess it's a testament to my reckless book-buying habit and my ever-growing physical and electronic TBRs.)

Well, I'm pleased to report that I agree with the glowing recommendations. Pearl in the Sand is a beautiful and engaging debut novel!

From the harsh and horrific introduction to her character, to the heartfelt depiction of her turning to faith, Rahab stands out as an absolutely wonderful heroine. Imperfect, with a difficult past, but inspiring in the way she embraces the hope of the Lord and the challenges and rewards of a new life.

As for the hero, well...there's a lot to love about him. And there's a lot to learn from his own set of challenges, weaknesses. and lessons.

The excellent setting and cultural descriptions provide a striking background for this fictionalized account of the fall of Jericho and the life of Rahab. But while there's strong drama in the demise of the walled city, the main tension revolves around the siege against emotional and spiritual strongholds.

It's a great thing to be reminded of the very real struggles of the people mentioned in the Scriptures, as well as the very real examples of faith. Pearl in the Sand showcases the grittiness and preciousness of both.

*With thanks to Moody Publishers for my copy of the book, which I won on the Window to My World blog.*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pearl in the Sand.

Quotes Amber Liked

Tessa Afshar
“A woman needs to feel safe in love. She needs to know her husband accepts everything about her and still loves her. To be known through and through, including the failures of her past, the shortcomings of her character, and still be loved, that's the Promised Land of a woman's heart! That's where she finds rest.”

Tessa Afshar
“I think you have forgotten, my young friend, that the blood of the spotless lambs on Passover cover your own sins, too.”

Tessa Afshar
“Rahab, don't you know that when God requires the blood of sacrifices to cover the uncleanness and rebellion of the people of Israel, He is thinking of me as much as of you? God's standards measure my heart, not any illusion of righteousness I might contrive to achieve with my actions. And before those standards I fail every day.... I compare myself to the holy standard God sets for us. Your problem is that you compare yourself to me, and conclude yourself a great failure. But your standards are skewed. In a way, each of us is a ruin before God. The wonder is the lengths He goes to in order to save us both from our ruination.”

September 15, 2010 – Shelved
January 4, 2015 – Started Reading
January 10, 2015 –
page 213
January 11, 2015 – Finished Reading

Julia Reffner me, too. I won it and can't wait to read it :)

Amber Stokes I won it on a blog, too! :) I've been reading great things about it, and if it's compared to Redeeming Love then it has to be wonderful, right? ;)