Karissa's Reviews > Headstrong: 52 Women Who Changed Science-and the World

Headstrong by Rachel Swaby

liked it

I got this book to review through the Amazon Vine program. This book goes through quick profiles of 52 women who had large contributions to science. The women are divided into different areas of science by the science they contributed to (physics, math, earth and stars, medicine, etc).

This is a decent book. My biggest complaints are that the sections on each woman are so brief that just as you are getting interesting in that woman the section ends. It only gives you a very brief look into their lives.

Also the sections are a bit sloppy...some start at the beginning of the woman's life, some at the end. It would have been nice to have a bit more format to each section.

Additionally I would have loved to see a few pictures in here. Of the women themselves or of the work they did...this would have really enhanced this book quite a bit. As is the book is a bit dry and it’s hard to engage in.

Overall it's a good book but not a great book. I enjoyed learning about these fascinating women but wish the sections had been more consistent, had some pictures, and had a bit more detail. There aren't a lot of books available give an overview of women in science, so it was nice to see this one come out. I would recommend if you are interested in learning more about influential women in science.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Headstrong.

March 4, 2015 – Started Reading