C.G. Drews's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

Mar 04, 2015

bookshelves: 5-star, adult, epic-fantasy, read-2015, audio-books

How is one supposed to review a book like this?! HOW. I ASK THAT.

THE ONLY THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT A GAME OF THRONES:
a) It's truly incredible.
b) It's really really big.
c) The story is no where NEAR completed, dangit, I need book 2 asap.
d) There are truckloads of winning adorable characters.
e) But even the villains are human (sometimes) and have sorrowful backstories.
f) Although ^^ that saying ^^ there are several people I would like TO DIE. Of course, they survived.
g) It made me angry and sad and happy and excited and horrified and disgusted and terrified.
h) Basically I felt ALL OF THE THINGS.
i) GO READ IT.
j) Why are you still here?
k) It's really really worth reading, okay?
l) but the audio is the best way to attempt it if, like me, you're terrified if big thick heavy fantasy books.
m) I possibly have a small crush on Jon Snow. I'm sure it'll pass. WHEN HE DIES. (HAHAHA. no. But he's so awesome I guess he'll die soon.)
n) Yes it's violent and there's sex but neither is as graphic as I expected from its infamous reputation.
o) The Starks have favourites amongst their children and it sucks.
p) Does anyone even care about Arya Stark and where she is?
q) Everyone is like "Oh yeah there's another sister, but idek what happened to her. Maybe she'll show up?"
r) Which is unfair. I like Arya.
s) And, honestly, Cersei is awful, but I kind of don't hate her yet. She's driven. She has psycho children. She's seriously messed up. But she's very smart and cunning.
t) Lots of people died.
u) Sometimes it made me sad. Sometimes happy. I'm psychotic like that, but seriously, this book is more psychotic.
v) Eddard Stark is an idiot.
w) I kind of like Tyrion.
x) Everyone's names are awful but hard to pronounce.
y) I LIKE DRAGONS.
z) I've run out of letters, so this is all I'm going to say, but seriously, I enjoyed it a LOT, but I'm probably giving it 5-stars because I spent 2+ months listening to the audio and that is an EFFORT and deserves commending. Or cake. Just give me cake. Also comfort because I'm not a happy poppet right now. THE ENDING HURT.

I totally get why people love these books and hate the author. It's ALL RATHER INCREDIBLE AND MARVELLOUS.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

March 4, 2015 – Shelved
March 4, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
March 9, 2015 – Started Reading
March 10, 2015 –
page 100
12.47% "HOW DARE THEY HURT THE 7 YEAR OLD. Omg."
March 11, 2015 –
page 200
24.94% "OMG HOW DARE THEY KILL THE WOLF AND THE LITTLE KITCHEN BOY. I am beyond furious at Cierce (however you spell her name, I am only listening to audio) and that whimpering brat Joffery. \n Also: BRANNNNNN."
March 22, 2015 –
page 300
37.41% "It's weird...no one has died for a while. I EXPECT SOMETHING ESPECIALLY EVIL IS ON THE HORIZON."
April 5, 2015 –
page 450
56.11% "Woah. Two important people dead in two chapters. AND YET HERE I AM. NOT SUPRISED. -_-"
April 8, 2015 –
page 500
62.34% "SHUT UP SANSA, YOU LITTLE IDJIT. *sobs wildly*"
April 15, 2015 –
page 750
93.52% "AGHHHH. EVERYONE IS DYING AND WE'RE JUST GONNA POP BACK FOR A QUIET MOMENT WITH BRAN AND LEGENDS OF THE WILDLINGS? No. No. I'm crying here. EDDDDDARD."
April 17, 2015 – Shelved as: 5-star
April 17, 2015 – Shelved as: adult
April 17, 2015 – Shelved as: epic-fantasy
April 17, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2015
April 17, 2015 – Finished Reading
November 19, 2015 – Shelved as: audio-books

message 1: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam Whitehouse I'm a big fan of the TV show, so i know what happens. Are the books still worth reading?

C.G. Drews I haven't seen the TV show, but I have seen a lot of spoilers. (Basically just that everyone dies. WAH.) I'm loving it so far (I'm listening to an audio).

message 3: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam Whitehouse Cait Grace wrote: "I haven't seen the TV show, but I have seen a lot of spoilers. (Basically just that everyone dies. WAH.) I'm loving it so far (I'm listening to an audio)."

Might give it a shot.

Yomi Hi, Cait
Avoid the spoilers from Pinterest and do NOT look at the Red Wedding from the show. Plus, I still read this book despite this is 800+ pages (I think) so good luck! Are you going to read the whole series.

Yomi I don't blame you dislike Joffrey. He's define of a jerk and pain and I thought Anne Rice's Lestat from Interview of a Vampire (the book) was a nightmare.

C.G. Drews @Yomi: Ha! I'm trying to avoid spoilers, but I saw a lot before I ever planned to read/watch this series. SO I KNOW SO MANY BAD THINGS. I'm staying off pinterest though. >_<

message 7: by Sophia (new)

Sophia I have a feeling that you will be saying "OMG HOW DARE THEY KILL/HURT (insert character name)" very many times more in your updates. Have fun.

C.G. Drews i'm pretty sure that will be ALL my status updates.

Miriam Joy That basically will be. I remember when I read book three and ended up texting Charley in all caps a lot halfway through. (Also, it's Cersei, for reference.)

message 10: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Miriam: I'm listening to audio so my spellings are going to be EMBARRASSINGLY OFF. Ha! I think it was Tirrian (like in Narnia) but I think it's Tyrion? *facepalm*

Miriam Joy Yup. I could never get on with audio books myself but I've had that with TV shows.

Elizabeth Chesak All right, Cait, now I want to see how you spell the name of... well, goshdarnit, I can't write it here because then you'd just copy it, but the name of Drogo's wife. :)

message 13: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Nevillegirl: YOU ARE MEAN. Danariyus? HA. Danarius? Danyarious?

Dany?

*hides in shame*

Miriam Joy hey, i've read them and i can still never remember that one. daenerys? but i just call her dany. it's easier.

message 15: by Sophia (new)

Sophia I THINK it's Danaerys.

message 16: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews Dany works. Dany is easy. DANY MAKES SENSE.

Elizabeth Chesak It's Daenerys. :P But usually I just call her Dany, too. Ehehe!

message 18: by Gabby (Sagalu) (new)

Gabby (Sagalu) I've been quite curious about these books, but as you said, they are BIG. Did you have any problem keeping all the people apart? I can have that problem sometimes and there is a lot of people in these books! =)

message 19: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Gabby: I didn't have trouble...buuuut, I wonder if it's because I listened to the audio?! I always feel books are clearer outloud. xD Some of the names are a bit similar though, like Bran and Bron. 0_0

Olivia-Savannah  Roach I HAVE READ THIS AND I LOVED IT.

I need the sequel in my life too. Well, I already have it. But I need time to immerse myself in such a long story.

At first I was so confused about the characters because we hear about Daenerys and then don't get her point of view until like, 100 pages later. But then I got used to things.

Arya <3 Tyrion <3 Daenerys <3 Sansa <3ish. Please don't die you peoples.

So much suspense...

Vlora (Reviews and Cake) I am in awe of you for managing to listen to such a long audiobook. I've been trying a normal sized book for like a month now and just KEEP. FALLING. ASLEEP. It's frustrating. :D Anyways, I've only seen the show (I'm a bad bookworm, I know), but my favorites are Tyrion, Daenerys and Arya, but mostly Tyrion. I can't decide whether I want to read the books or not. I feel like they might be a bit too slow for me, especially since I already know who dies (plus the size totally intimidates me), but from the small excerpts I HAVE read I think I'd probably like them. I'm happy you enjoyed them!

message 22: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Olivia: I'M SO WORRIED ABOUT ALL THE AWESOME PEOPLE DYING. GAAAAAAH. I'm probably going to read book 2 ASAP. As soon as I can descend upon the library anyway, because SO MANY QUESTIONS.

@Vlora: I totally understand this. *nods* I'm watching the show now and yeah it totally leaves out a lot of stuff and the world isn't as BIG and the character development isn't as thorough, buuuuut...it's pretty similar. x) Tyrion is even MORE hilarious in the books. So much sass. x) THE SIZE IS SCARY THO. Omg. And the first book is the smallest right?!

message 23: by La La (new) - added it

La La I haven't attempted this series yet, but I plan to. :D

Marilyn Best book review I have ever read :)

message 25: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Marilyn: Yayyy! I hope you love the next ones too! :D Bk 3 is my favourite!

message 26: by Amy (new)

Amy Lou OMG IM SO GLAD YOU LIKED IT!!! A friend is currently obsessed with the TV show and I keep meaning to read the books. I'm not really scared of big books... But audiobooks seem more manageable haha. Is the sex worse that ACOTAR/ACOMAF?

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I need to read this book, and soon! :)

message 28: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Amy: Ah, hahahah, yes the sex is way more graphic than ACTOAR. (I haven't read ACOMAF.) There's a lot of rape too, so just be warned.

@Charles: YES!

Brooklyn Tayla Best review ever *applause* and I agree with everything you said ^_^

message 30: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Brooklyn: Thankyou! :D

Mahdis Sam wrote: "I'm a big fan of the TV show, so i know what happens. Are the books still worth reading?"
of corse it does!!!!! you really really have to read it :))) this series are awesome :))) oh I can't describe my huge love for it :) I hope that freak (GRRM) would survive so we can get all of the story :)
only GRRM would kill the most important characters (Rheagar Targaryen & Lyanna Stark ) even before the story starts!!!!
(sorry for spell problems. my english writing is awful ! ;)

Catherine This might just be my favorite review of all time hahaha

message 33: by Diane (new)

Diane Nice! :)

Apoorva Shridhar I strongly agree with points (v) and (w), but all I can do is type furiously. Just finished reading this one. Now starting the second book ASAP.