Jennifer's Reviews > The Pocket Wife

The Pocket Wife by Susan H. Crawford

bookshelves: listened-to-audiobook, mystery, psychological-thriller, read-2015, stand-alone-novel

The Pocket Wife is a standalone, psychological thriller/mystery novel written by Susan H. Crawford. This is her debut novel...and what a debut!! Throughout my reading experience, I remained invested in this story and its characters. My favorite elements of this book were the complexity of the characters's lives and the various relationship dynamics going on. It was sad but also immensely engaging!

The main character, Dana suffers from mental illness and the parts of this story that were shared through her perspective were frighteningly fascinating! Her manic episodes result in memory problems, reality distortion, and paranoia for poor Dana. It doesn't take much to get her to a breaking point when she just doesn't know what’s real and what’s not. But she knows she was very likely the last one to see her friend alive and now she just has to explore the potholes of her memory for a clue as to what really happened. While she struggles through the daily fog in her mind, the detective assigned to the case, Jack, has his own stressors that are shared through his individual perspective. Both Dana and Jack are likable characters, but with their combined stress in this book, the reader is sure to be at risk for going a bit crazy themselves as everybody involved becomes an easy suspect. As the end neared, I did figure out who the killer was (and btw, the fact I was right surprised me to no end because I am usually embarrassingly blindsided). I typically stay in the dark during these types of books but maybe it’s a good sign I finally figured it out for once...or maybe it was just a lucky guess - the latter being the most probable haha. Although now having experienced a mystery novel both ways, I have to admit I enjoy the surprise factor much better!

Overall, I thought The Pocket Wife was a great book and I would recommend it to fans of the genres listed. Experiencing this story via audio was enjoyable and the level of suspense was enough to keep my earphones in during every available moment. Give it a try!

My favorite quote:
"The col­ors, the conversations, everything is much more vibrant and inclusive, as if opening a book releases genies trapped inside. The scenes and people between their covers sometimes seem more vivid than real life, with their sunny, pearl-toothed characters, the witty con­versation, the handsome stranger squeezed into a subway car or knocking about on the street. Sometimes, when she finishes a book at record speed, Dana feels a slight letdown, as if a good friend has hung up the phone in the middle of a conversation."

I just love that quote, don't you?
description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pocket Wife.

March 3, 2015 – Shelved
March 3, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
March 27, 2015 – Started Reading
March 27, 2015 –
25.0% "Feels a bit like The Girl On The Train...except without the train LOL"
March 28, 2015 –
March 30, 2015 – Shelved as: psychological-thriller
March 30, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2015
March 30, 2015 – Shelved as: stand-alone-novel
March 30, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Amazing review! This book sounds right up my alley :)

message 2: by Jennifer (last edited Mar 30, 2015 06:20PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jennifer Kristin (KC) wrote: "Amazing review! This book sounds right up my alley :)"

Thank you Kristin ♥ I hope you enjoy it!

Sandra Great review. This book is next on my TBR list! Am reading The Bookseller by Cynthia Swanson right now and quite enjoying it.

Jennifer Sandra wrote: "Great review. This book is next on my TBR list! Am reading The Bookseller by Cynthia Swanson right now and quite enjoying it."

Thanks Sandra! I've got to look into The Bookseller. Enjoy!!

message 5: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann Totally agree. Spot on! I marked that quote too.