C.G. Drews's Reviews > Soundless

Soundless by Richelle Mead

bookshelves: deafness, read-2015, epic-fantasy, young-adult

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soundless.

March 3, 2015 – Shelved
March 3, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
December 6, 2015 – Started Reading
December 6, 2015 –
page 114
42.86% "I'm really upset right now because I THOUGHT this book would be celebrating the Deaf and the ability to have awesome fantastical adventures whilst having a disability...but no. It's curing the deaf protagonist within the first 3 chapters.\n I just.\n Gah. I'm not okay with this."
December 6, 2015 – Shelved as: deafness
December 6, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2015
December 6, 2015 – Shelved as: epic-fantasy
December 6, 2015 – Shelved as: young-adult
December 6, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa J. Overhear the conversations? Seriously, what? also, boo hiss at the lack of world building. Yeah, not reading this. Great review, though.

message 2: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Chesak Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh, books that "cure" characters of their disability are just... no. Darn it! This book sounded amazing at first, it popped up in an ad on my Facebook page the other night...

message 3: by Ashana (new)

Ashana Lian That is SO ANNOYING. I also wanted to read this one but I know for a fact that would irritated me too. :( Sad to hear it didn't go that well for your Cait. I was looking forward to read my first non-vamp book by Richelle Mead

message 4: by NicoleHasRead (new)

NicoleHasRead Despite it's other problems, I really liked the way There Will Be Lies dealt with a deaf character in terms of speech.

message 5: by Bee (new) - added it

Bee Ugh, I'm completely over this book. :( I have no interest in reading it anymore.

message 6: by Carly (new)

Carly Oh nooo :(

message 7: by Vlora (new) - added it

Vlora That's exactly why I hesitated to buy it even though I've read almost all of her other books. :( I'm kind of surprised that no one raised the issue to her?? I'll skip this one, I think.

Matie *Crazy Cat Lady* Great review!:) Although I´m really sad the book did turn out to be rather meh . I loved her Vampire Academy series, especially the first three books. :/

Meghann (Becoming Books) Just finished this book... while I was also dissapointed that Fei was "cured" to be the special snowflake (i like that LOL) it made sense for the premise of the story. I'm deaf... I still "speak" just not in English LOL so overheard, speak, said, etc. makes sense. We would sign "What did she say?" vs. "What did she sign?" whether we were talking about a person who is hearing or who is deaf. More or less it's far more unbelievable that they would be signing in complete sentences vs. glossing. Still really loved the story though, so sorry it didn't work for you.

Korynne Thank you for your review! I've been looking for a review that specifically mentioned how deaf culture was handled in the book. The deaf culture is the only reason I'm interested in this book, but it doesn't seem like it was handled very well. I just started reading and already I have major issues.