Nadine Larter's Reviews > The Girl in the Flammable Skirt

The Girl in the Flammable Skirt by Aimee Bender

Mar 03, 2015

bookshelves: my-library, my-library-read
Read 2 times. Last read January 28, 2018 to February 11, 2018.

Have I mentioned that I love Aimee Bender yet? I wonder: If I start experimenting with drugs would I be able to come up with this sort of writing? That would be great. Pity I can't afford drugs. Silly drugs, I mean, of course. Like mushrooms or whatever it is that makes things look a little brighter and sparklier. I'm giving this book a 5 because I think that being the type of person who writes these sort of weird and confusing-for-most-people stories is kind of important. Year ago when I read The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake I did not love it as I expected to because I hadn't been expecting magical realism (I knew little of the genre back then) and I was almost frightened by the darkness of it. I have kind of evolved since then, and am honestly kind of writing in that direction myself now. I have become more open to obscure voices sharing beautiful content. I am so grateful to be meeting these voices. They are growing me. Even when I don't like them, they are growing me. I have learned to set aside expectations and receive what I am given instead of bemoaning what I have not. I cannot help now but envy Ms. Bender. How free she is in spirit. How unconventionally wise. How odd. How exquisite. How real. I should read Lemon Cake with my fresher eyes now. Soon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl in the Flammable Skirt.

March 3, 2015 – Started Reading
March 3, 2015 – Shelved
March 3, 2015 – Shelved as: my-library
March 3, 2015 – Finished Reading
September 21, 2015 – Shelved as: my-library-read
January 28, 2018 – Started Reading
February 11, 2018 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Tom LA (new)

Tom LA And how empty! What's the content in the title story, for example? It's pure nonsense.

Nadine Larter Tabasco wrote: "And how empty! What's the content in the title story, for example? It's pure nonsense."

I have come to understand that not understanding something does not necessarily mean that it does not make sense.

message 3: by Tom LA (new)

Tom LA As in a riddle with a specific solution that only a few get, or just something that can be interpreted in many different ways? If it is the latter, then understanding or not understanding doesn't matter much in the end, right?

Nadine Larter Tabasco wrote: "As in a riddle with a specific solution that only a few get, or just something that can be interpreted in many different ways? If it is the latter, then understanding or not understanding doesn't..."

Perhaps not :)