Whitney Atkinson's Reviews > Nineteen Minutes

Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult

bookshelves: audiobook, read-in-2018

3.5 Stars

The oldest book on my TBR is finally complete!! My sophomore year of high school, a classmate of mine gave a presentation on this book saying it was her favorite of all time, and ever since then I've been interested in what she loved so much about it. Books about school shootings have always intrigued me, but they're especially relevant today. I'm glad I read this book after I read A Mother's Reckoning because that gave such an insight to being in the critical spotlight as the mother of a school shooter and a lot of Sue's experiences were echoed in this book.

My lasting impression of this book rests on two things:
1. It reads kind of like an episode of law and order--just a little bit too cookie cutter and predictable in a way that reminds you that what you're reading/watching is fictional.
2. This book is now a bit dated. This shooting in the book occurred in 2007, and the media and technology have evolved so much now that parts of this felt antiquated.

This was still worth the read after owning it for 4+ years, but I can't say it's one of my new favorites.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nineteen Minutes.

March 2, 2015 – Shelved
March 2, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
June 27, 2018 – Started Reading
June 27, 2018 – Shelved as: audiobook
June 27, 2018 – Shelved as: read-in-2018
July 3, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Karie Since you read this book recently, I have a question as I'm in the middle of the book now.
How did Lacy and Lewis lose their first child Joey? I can't seem to remember reading that detail, but the author keeps saying that they lost their first child.
Hope you can help me!

Remona @karie Joey was killed by a drunk driver.

Kendra Mantz Your impressions are exactly how I felt! I bet this would have been a daring, breakthrough book back in 2007 but to me it just felt like the shooting was way oversimplified given what we know now.