C.G. Drews's Reviews > One

One by Sarah Crossan

bookshelves: 4-star, contemporary, read-2015, young-adult

Okay, so that was emotionally and beautiful. And in verse. VERSE, PEOPLES. I know as much about poetry as I know about the history of guavas (um, that means I know zlich) BUT, I really loved the verse and how it was set out and how different words had impact and gah, even an unedcuated pineapple like I can appreciate this. I CAN. Although sometimes I think having it in verse limited the scope of the description -- but it went for a style and it PULLED IT OFF.

Also, emotional. I might've got a bit choked up.*

* I totally didn't, but I might have. That's half the battle right there. I'm Vulcan so ignore me.

It's a story about conjoined twins...which would be an oh so hard way to live. Because of the stares and being called a freak and always living under the cloud of "you're unforgivably different and ew, get away from me". UGH. THAT WOULD BE SO CRUEL. It reminded me a bit of Wonder in that regard. But the verse/poem style reminded me of Out of the Dust. AHEM. But I digress! The book really talks about disabilities and how, if you've always lived the way you have, how do you see it as a disability? The thing the twins craved was being alone. And obviously they could never have it. Their names are Grace (the narrator) and Tippi. Grace is the quiet one, and Tippi is the stubborn one and they clash a bit, but they're almost always perfectly in sync. They're joined at the waist. So separate torsos, but only one set of legs. I really don't understand the coordination of driving/walking/ANYTHING but the author's done her research and I trust this.

But I do feel like the story was slightly predictable. I mean, conjoined twins? Going to school for the first time in 16 years? OBVIOUSLY there's going to be issues if one of them falls in love. And how can books be about conjoined twins without an attempt of an operation? So in that respect, I never felt surprised about the plot.

BUT THE SUPER BEAUTIFUL WRITING MADE UP FOR IT. We don't get a boatload of description about the rest of the family, but we do get some details, and I loved that. I loved that the twins weren't the only ones with "problems'. The dad was an alcoholic, the older sister was a ballet dancer and anorexic, and the mother was laid off work, and the granny was loving but sometimes said the wrong thing at the wrong time AND IT WAS HORRIBLE. *gulps* They were a completely dysfunctional family and the dynamics were written awesomely.

I definitely enjoyed this one for it's unique style and topic...but it doesn't feel like a book that'll stick to my soul. I AM SAD. I AM SAD BECAUSE OF THE ENDING. I'm sad because life can be so cruel and beautiful simultaneously and I think ONE captures that so perfectly.

(Also I am a nerd and went and watched youtube documentaries about conjoined twins after this.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One.

March 2, 2015 – Shelved
March 2, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
July 14, 2015 – Started Reading
July 14, 2015 –
page 150
34.88% "THIS IS IN VERSE. Which is actually ridiculously awesome."
July 15, 2015 – Shelved as: 4-star
July 15, 2015 – Shelved as: contemporary
July 15, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2015
July 15, 2015 – Shelved as: young-adult
July 15, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe Can the bookish twins stop twinning? Find out next time on the Zoe / Cait special!

C.G. Drews HAHAHAHA. OMG YES. XD