Carla Remy's Reviews > One Fearful Yellow Eye

One Fearful Yellow Eye by John D. MacDonald

bookshelves: modern-mystery-thriller-crime

I loved the first two in the series, but since then, I haven't been able to get interested in the plots. It's confusing, because the writing is great and there are always very interesting sections. I just don't love series in general. In this case, McGee, I find the books sprawling and uneven. I adored MacDonald's one off A Bullet For Cinderella (1955) - it was tighter, contained, very full but also shorter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Fearful Yellow Eye.

Finished Reading
March 2, 2015 – Shelved
March 2, 2015 – Shelved as: modern-mystery-thriller-crime

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Bobby (new)

Bobby Underwood I love this series most of the time. The Long Lavender Look, Bright Orange For the Shroud, and A Deadly Shade of Gold (a huge entry) are my favorites, along with Free Fall in Crimson. People either love or hate that one for some reason.

Carla Remy The older I've gotten, the less I've liked series. I realize I'm the minority here. I will go back to this, but I'm more interested in MacDonald's one off works.

message 3: by Bobby (new)

Bobby Underwood Some of his one-offs were great. I think with the McGee series it's best to have some space between reading the books. Most people associate him with McGee and crime, but he wrote The Girl, the Gold Watch and Everything also. I think I'm like you are with McGee where the Spenser books are concerned. I like some of them a lot, because they're quick and fast-moving, great dialog, but it is definitely hit and miss. I find Susan Silverman vain and pretentious and that entire dichotomy between her and Spenser too nauseating in some of the books. And as I've gotten older, I find some entries which I enjoyed when I was younger, less palatable. In those, at least for me now, it's as though Parker is smooth, but he's really got nothing to say.

Carla Remy Haven't read those, but I know people like them (spencer). But yes, space is good. I never read the same author twice in a row. I like the contrast between things, I guess.

message 5: by Bobby (new)

Bobby Underwood Agree, though I will get on a reading kick from time to time of an author I like, usually someone from past decades, like Donald Hamilton's Matt Helm. :-)