Sonya Heaney's Reviews > The Art of Sinning

The Art of Sinning by Sabrina Jeffries

bookshelves: historical-romance, georgian-era

Also posted HERE .

Don’t let anyone tell you this is a Regency romance, because it isn’t. It’s set in the late 1820s.

I was really excited about this book, and I have given many Sabrina Jeffries books great reviews – she’s a favourite of mine. However, I think you really need to read her previous series to get the most out of this one, because it’s as much a continuation as the beginning of something new. The other series is very good, so it’s no hardship.

Admittedly, I wasn’t in the best frame of mind when I started The Art of Sinning, but I suspect that even if I was I’d have found the first half a little slow. There aren’t a lot of characters or locations in the story, which means the mental lusting is drawn out longer than I would have liked.

Art seems to be the theme du jour for historical romances. I think it’s interesting because it really challenges the clichés usually attributed to the male characters in the genre. I also loved the blond hero. I get a little tired of all the men being identical, and don’t like the prejudices in the genre.

I liked that our heroine had been treated poorly in the past and had very little confidence, but she didn’t let it rule her. I like when a heroine can be vulnerable and strong at the same time.

I think it’s pretty obvious who is going to be paired up in the next books, but I actually liked those little clues, those moments between other characters.

While I liked a lot of things, it is true I struggled a bit both with the way the action all seemed to happen in the background, and also with the fact I kept struggling to remember how all these past characters were connected.

I would definitely recommend this book, as Sabrina Jeffries is a veteran author which means her writing is always solid. However I’m just not sure I liked it as much as I did the first couple of books in her last series.

Review copy provided by NetGalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Sinning.

March 2, 2015 – Shelved
March 2, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
March 2, 2015 – Shelved as: historical-romance
May 12, 2015 – Started Reading
May 13, 2015 –
18.0% "In case you need proof this is NOT a Regency story, no matter how many readers shelve it that way! "Back in his wife's day, gowns had clung to a woman, showing every curve, but they'd grown stuffed of late...""
May 15, 2015 –
50.0% "Maybe it's because I lost one of the most important people in my life a few days ago and my reading is off, but I'm having trouble with this one. 50% in and the Whole Book so far is just mental lusting between two characters in a country house. This is one of my favourite authors - what is going on? I'm bored!"
May 19, 2015 – Shelved as: georgian-era