Chrissy's Reviews > Vivian Apple at the End of the World

Vivian Apple at the End of the World by Katie Coyle

Mar 01, 2015

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2015, ya

Vivian certainly never thought the world was actually coming to an end.

Sure, her parents had recently become obsessed with the new Church of America -- and they seemed to believe everything out of the mouth of Frick, the sketchy, money hungry prophet who claimed to hold the secrets to eternal life.

And sure, the world had seemed to go strangely weird and religious in the latest weeks, preparing for an upcoming Rapture that would surely save the Chosen few before the destruction of the coming Apocalypse.

Vivian definitely never expected to wake up one morning with holes in the ceiling, right above her parent's bed, and breaking news all over the world that thousands had suddenly disappeared.

And yet, something still seemed so wrong about the Church of America. Something bothered Vivian enough to send her on a road trip -- to find any remaining family, herself, and the Truth... whatever it may be.

----

I think I picked this title up based solely on the cover -- and, okay, maybe a little on the title as well. And, I guess the pink font distracted me a bit, and I somehow thought I was starting a series that would be mostly dystopian in nature, given the subject matter at hand.

Don't be fooled. This one is definitely more of a contemporary read, focusing on a teenage girl who is really just trying to find herself against a world that happens to be preoccupied with the latest news -- a Rapture.

The world was interesting enough, although I found Vivian to be a bit irritating and immature, which kept me more disconnected from the story as I would have liked. I think this was one of those YA books that just *feels* young, which will probably make it better suited for someone more around the (teen) age of its main characters.

Apparently this is the first in a series -- and while book two is out, it is strangely not available on the Kindle (or in my public library) which probably means I won't bother to continue any further -- especially since the "truth" behind the mystery of the story really took a turn more towards something that was a little less interesting than what I wanted.

But, if you're young and you like reading about road trips and weird religious groups -- or, if you still find yourself identifying with the whole rebellious stage of teenage self-discovery, I'm sure you'll find something to love about Vivian Apple.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vivian Apple at the End of the World.

March 1, 2015 – Started Reading
March 1, 2015 – Shelved
March 17, 2015 –
0.0% "I swear I'm gonna finally finish this tonight!"
March 18, 2015 – Shelved as: read-in-2015