Ethan Cramer-Flood's Reviews > The Crying of Lot 49

The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon

Sep 14, 2010

This is my second Tom Pynchon book, and I'm still trying to decide if he's a genius or a madman. Either way I love the way he puts together a story. This one was a little too short for me to get totally lost in -- unlike V., a masterpiece in every way -- but his writing skills are so profound that anything less than 5 stars doesn't feel right to me.

I'm still not entirely sure what The Crying of Lot 49 was about (and frankly, my review of V. would express the same uncertainty). The point with Pynchon is the journey, not the coherency of the big picture. The description on the back of Lot 49 is:

"The highly original satire about Oedipa Maas, a woman who finds herself enmeshed in a worldwide conspiracy, meets some extremely interesting characters, and attains a not-inconsiderable amount of self-knowledge."

When I read that 'summary' before I read the book, it struck me as particularly unhelpful -- but after I finished I sympathized with the editor who had to come up with a pithy description of what the hell Pynchon was doing with this book. I'm still not sure. But I liked it a lot.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crying of Lot 49.

message 1: by Ivan (new)

Ivan Please think about sharing your thoughts about this book with The Novella Club - we have just opened our discussion.