Beth's Reviews > Anthem

Anthem by Ayn Rand

Sep 13, 2010

bookshelves: five-star-books

I can see why some people would get bored reading this, really you have to have a particular mind set going into it to really appreciate the plot and unique "first-person" style.
As for me, and why I absolutely loved this short novel, probably has to do with the fact that I took A.P. American History as a high school student last year and learned the price that independence took for us.
That class and this quick-read book both helped me to once again really appreciate my own blessing of freedom. It was a truly stunning and reflective read.
"Anthem" was a great reminder of how much our freedom to do and say whatever we want should truly matter to us.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anthem.

Quotes Beth Liked

Ayn Rand
“But I still wonder how it was possible, in those graceless years of transition, long ago, that men did not see whither they were going, and went on, in blindness and cowardice, to their fate. I wonder, for it is hard for me to conceive how men who knew the word "I," could give it up and not know what they lost. But such has been the story, for I have lived in the City of the damned, and I know what horror men permitted to be brought upon them.”
Ayn Rand, Anthem

Ayn Rand
“For the coming of that day shall I fight, I and my sons and my chosen friends. For the freedom of Man. For his rights. For his life. For his honor.”
Ayn Rand, Anthem