Schuyler's Reviews > When Sorry Isn't Enough: Making Things Right with Those You Love

When Sorry Isn't Enough by Gary Chapman

I love this book because it is simple and easy to read. It covers the basics without going into lofty flights of prose and thought. Just what you need to do, and that's it. That doesn't mean taking action is easy, but their goal is give you understanding as simply as possible.

This is not a theology book. It's a practical how-to book. You'll find some Scriptures, and it's written from a Christian worldview, but mainly Thomas and Chapman draw on their years of counselling experience. The facts of sin and repentance are already assumed; they're out to tell you how to put that knowledge to practical use. They had a lot of stories with couples, singles, young and old, family and friends, to give a wide scope of how these principles work. I found the life experience aspect a refreshing inclusion.

In some ways this book was a hard, hard read. I have an extremely tender conscience, with an extreme perfectionism streak. This makes it difficult to accept messing up, while at the same time I don't like ignoring what I've done wrong. It is difficult to go through the apology process, but the older I get, the more I want an authentic, growing relationship with Christ and with family and friends. In that sense, it was convicting.

On the other hand, some of it was incredibly healing. The author duo explain that it's not wrong to want justice, as long as you handle that desire righteously. Nor does forgiveness mean that your memory is wiped of the event. Nor should you allow people to manipulate you with poor and insincere apologies.

Nor should you implode and refuse to forgive yourself.

As for the apology languages themselves? Oftentimes the way you give an apology is your personal language. So think of the last one you gave, and what you said--any of the phrases up top ring with you? My apology language is Expressing Regret, with Accepting Responsibility being a close second. (Though in rare cases I feel pretty strongly about Making Restitution.)

I appreciated this teaching, would highly recommend it, and hope to read it again. I think I'll need some time to fully process it; but I was so blessed by When Sorry Isn't Enough, and I hope you will be too.

I received this book free from Moody Publishers in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Sorry Isn't Enough.

March 1, 2015 – Started Reading
March 1, 2015 – Shelved
March 1, 2015 –
page 59
33.52% "Excellent so far. Can be an emotionally-charged subject matter, but this book is filled with truth and common sense."
March 3, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Leah Good Fantastic review, Schuyler! You articulated a lot of the things I felt reading this book recently.

Schuyler Thanks, Leah! I was excited when I saw you had read it, because I was eyeing it on the Moody website. :)