hayden's Reviews > City of Lost Souls

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

More reviews at The Teen Bookworm!

City of Lost Souls took a while to digest. All night I could feel it in my gut like deadweight. All the subplots and characters and relationships and the fact that so much was going on made this book hard to break down.

But, finally, I woke up this morning and it all made sense. So, seeing as the book has been split into separate filing cabinets in my brain, I'm going to replicate that onto this review:

The Good:

I felt that Lost Souls was more compulsively readable than the other installments in the series. With all of the other books, I frequently found myself banging my head against the wall/skimming/debating microwaving an owl. With this installment, I found myself wanting to keep reading. Lost Souls had a lot more substance than the other books, which were stuffed with boring, meaningless conversation. Even though the book is a whopping 536 pages (Clare's second longest book yet, Glass being the longest), it never lets go of you.

I also appreciate how Clare didn't end the book with a tremendous, soul-shocking cliffhanger that makes you want to steal Clare's laptop to get a glimpse of the final book in the series. The end does make you want to read the next one, just not in a way that'll make you dread the long, long wait until March '14. Yes, that's twenty-two months of waiting. I don't know how I'm going to wait that long.

Another thing I love about The Mortal Instruments is how there are so many characters that you can fall in love with. My favorite couple in the books is Isabelle and Simon. They're my two favorite characters in the book, and they're totally meant for each other. <3 Clare writes their relationship very well. Even though Simon is a vampire, he feels like one of the most human characters in the book. He feels more than any of the other characters, and he isn't blind-sided by love. Izzy is his perfect match. I can't wait for their relationship to develop in the last book.

Another relationship I love is Alec/Magnus. I love gay characters in YA, because I'm all for LGBTQ-type stuff, and Clare writes them really well. Alec is another of those really fleshed-out characters Clare wrote. And Magnus . . . *sigh* Who doesn't love glitter and sequins and scarves? Magnus is definitely the most fun character in the novels. He makes the books fun to read. Clare writes sarcasm and wit really well. I would find some awesome quotes, but I don't feel like it, honestly.

Overall, Lost Souls is a vast improvement over Fallen Angels, except for one major thing...

The Bad:

*Clary Fray. Oh my GOODNESS, woman. You need to realize that there are more things in the world than Jace Lightwood/Herondale/Morgenstern. One scene in the book had me wanting to shove her head into an oven. (view spoiler) She spent the first few chapters wangsting about Jace's absence and Jace this and Jace that and SHUT UP! I have a sledgehammer and I'm not afraid to use it.

*(view spoiler)

Those are the only two things I took extreme issue with in the book. Overall, it's an engaging read with some slight annoyances but an overall tightly-crafted plot and explosive climax.

Three and a Half Owls

Pre-Read Review:

That cover is sexy, and I don't call many books sexy.

This series has a few primary types of fans:

1) The Mindless
The fan that goes OMG CLARY AND JACE ARE SO CUTE and JACE IS SOOOOO HOT and I LUV THESE BOOKS.

2) The Recent Haters
The fan that shit bricks while reading the first three books, but due to the downfall, decided to hate the fourth book and will still read the fifth book, because subconsciously, they think the fifth will magically get better.

3) The Masochists
The fan that goes OH MY GOD I HATE THESE BOOKS WITH A PASSION but will, for some reason, still read the next installments.

4) The Imagineers
The fan that loves the first three books and loves how the original trilogy ended, pretending the fourth, fifth and sixth books will never be in existence and that Clare actually decided to shitcan the idea of an extended series.

And then there's me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Lost Souls.

September 13, 2010 – Shelved
May 9, 2012 – Started Reading
May 9, 2012 –
page 16
2.99% "This "where's-Jace" angst is wearing me out."
May 10, 2012 –
page 28
5.23% "That first chapter . . . sucked.\n Rife with angst, Clary-style."
May 10, 2012 –
page 87
May 16, 2012 –
page 177
33.08% "Yeah. Go ahead and go back to Maia and Jordan's bullshit story. Now I have to wait another twenty freaking pages to get to the good stuff! And what a CLIFFHANGER! Wow, Clare. You really think you know what you're doing."
May 17, 2012 –
page 192
35.89% "Wow. I totally understand this new trilogy. \n It is SO PREDICTABLE. \n And I understand the name of the sixth book. \n I don't, however, understand why it took the whole damned fourth book to introduce this new conflict."
page 331
61.87% "That was so cute.\n "
page 342
63.93% "One thing I do love about Clare's books is the wit of all the characters. Never relents."
page 350
65.42% "This whole calling-Simon-names-other-than-Simon-that-start-with-an-S thing that Magnus is doing is driving me up the wall. I mean, seriously? Seamus? Sherlock? How do those even remotely sound like Simon?"
page 421
78.69% "Clary Morgenstern, you are the most retarded human being on the planet. Gahh, your lack of intelligence amazes me."
page 496
92.71% "What a cute ending. :)"
May 21, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)

Wendy Darling Sometimes people hate stuff just to hate stuff...

hayden Very well put, Wendy.
Why is your icon so sad? :(

message 3: by John (new) - added it

John Egbert Wendy Darling wrote: "Sometimes people hate stuff just to hate stuff..."

Other times they hate stuff because they thought it was bad :P

hayden Mello wrote: "Wendy Darling wrote: "Sometimes people hate stuff just to hate stuff..."

Other times they hate stuff because they thought it was bad :P"

There weren't any specific attacks :) Ha

Spider the Doof Warrior Naw, I do not like this serious because in my opinion it is not that good and girls should NOT fall in love with jerks.
But nice men.
I like nice men.

Also, she seems to have ripped off to many people. See Paolani. (sp)

hayden Synesthesia wrote: "Naw, I do not like this serious because in my opinion it is not that good and girls should NOT fall in love with jerks.
But nice men.
I like nice men.

Also, she seems to have ripped off to many pe..."

Thanks for sharing.

message 7: by John (new) - added it

John Egbert There's just something about this whole conversation that made me burst out into laughter.

hayden Demolition-Lover wrote: "There're FIVE of these books? How many will there be?"

Six. Three more were added.

message 9: by Kogiopsis (new)

Kogiopsis I propose category 4: the fans who liked the first three, look back on them as mindless brain candy, and feel no particular impetus to read any sequels or spin-offs.
^^that's my category.

Spider the Doof Warrior Naw. I do not think I will read more of these. INSTEAD I WILL WRITE A BOOK! Or several. I'm been writing several in my head for years.

message 11: by Cory (last edited Oct 12, 2011 06:25PM) (new)

Cory I will never read them because I hate the way Clare acts and how she treats her fans. I tried to read #1 and couldn't. Then I read part of #4, which was pretty damn bad.

But I can respect the amount of money she makes. Fuck that cash cow CC, fuck it till it dies.

hayden Demolition-Lover wrote: "Cory wrote: "I will never read them because I hate the way Clare acts and how she treats her fans. I tried to read #1 and couldn't. Then I read part of #4, which was pretty damn bad.

But I can res..."

Simon is definitely the best character.

Imo (Omnom Books) Anila wrote: "I propose category 4: the fans who liked the first three, look back on them as mindless brain candy, and feel no particular impetus to read any sequels or spin-offs.
^^that's my category."

I am right with you there, tried CoFA, and...i'll just stick with the first three :)

message 14: by Kiki (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kiki I'm a recent hater. Love the first three - they're great fun - but COFA made me want to kick a squirrel. BULL-SHIT.

This book had better be good. Or there will be hell to pay.

(Benji) The Non Reluctant Reader What about the 4 group, us people who love these books and aren't mindless. And I don't think Jace and Clary are cute, cause I'm team Simon!

hayden You're obviously an exception. :)

(Benji) The Non Reluctant Reader Demolition-Lover wrote: "(Benji) The Non Reluctant Reader wrote: "What about the 4 group, us people who love these books and aren't mindless. And I don't think Jace and Clary are cute, cause I'm team Simon!"

YAY! SOMEONE ..."

I know, Jace is a self centered, world class jerk!

(Benji) The Non Reluctant Reader Hayden wrote: "You're obviously an exception. :)"
Correction, I don't love them, but they are a fun read!

message 19: by Saniya (new) - added it

Saniya The Recent Hater ftw! ^.^
btw, I am team Magnus and Simon! =D

Rida (Raindrop Reflections) I'm a recent hater. And somewhat of an Imagineer, because for me, the series ended perfectly at book 3.

And man, that cover looks good.

message 21: by Aleixie (new)

Aleixie Most of the covers are good looking but the books are shit. I think I deserve my own category.

Btw, I am team Simon also but shhh, don't tell anyone.

message 22: by m (new) - rated it 4 stars

m I'll read the fifth just to see more sarcastic comments that I swear sixteen-year-old's do not use. I think I'm an Imagineer, though.

message 23: by Tenoko1 (new) - added it

Tenoko1 Granted, I loved the first three books and hated the fourth one, because, seriously, it was unnecessary. It was like a filler episode or something. I'll just be glad when Cassie sinks her teeth into the real major plot again.

message 24: by Nicole (new)

Nicole I am the 4th type. Wont touch 4,5, and 6 because 1-3 were epic to me.

message 25: by Ruby (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ruby Kind of a two and four. I'm a three for Twilight :-) - and that includes the movies.

message 26: by Emma (new) - rated it 3 stars

Emma I am type 2 haha
Loved books 1-3 and hoping this book will be as good as them; how did you guess? :D

Charlotte How about those who marginally liked the first three books, didn't like the next one, doesn't mind the Infernal Devices, and will read this book out of curiosity because he/she still has love for the characters?

hayden Charlotte wrote: "How about those who marginally liked the first three books, didn't like the next one, doesn't mind the Infernal Devices, and will read this book out of curiosity because he/she still has love for t..."

I would consider you to be the lovechild of a Recent Hater and a Masochist.

April what is the and then there is me category? because if its I love this books their writing style and characters and plots then thats me :)

message 30: by Kendra (new)

Kendra Conine I wonder what I am :P I loved the first three books with a passion, but the fourth disappointed me. However, I'm going to read the fifth because I want to know what happens to Jace. Hmmm. XD

Farrah Hanis Omg I love you for this comment! And I'm gonna go with the "and then there's me".
I read the comment before you and I' just thinking shut the hell up you bloody hater. You either read it or you don't, stop bloody complaining. I for one thought Clare as an excellent author. What to do, haters gonna hate...

Annie Breece Sorry I'm none....I love Jace but I will always think Simon is ten times more sexier than him :)

Naomi Trevor Also: The fan that can't really stand Clary and thinks Jace is alright and that Magnus and Alec should feature way more...

message 34: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle I'm a number 4. I read the first few pages of the 4th book and knew for sure I wasn't going to like it.

Bridget LOL...I love how you did this! ♥

Heather Not to worry in regards to the one spoiler... The epilogue sat up a brilliant "Here I come to save the day" scene. ;)

Raven D. I totally felt the same way with the two spoiler scenes. But I still enjoyed the book overall. The second spoiler though just tore my heart because they were so good together!

Raven D. Oh and I'm in a separate category of being a fan who just loves the books and reads them for entertainment and the good writing style. Keeps me on my toes :)

Machie I'm probably one of the Masochists. Haha

Linda Great review I had some of the same thoughts. I hated reading about fake Jace and Clary it just got annoying and I felt like vomiting because it was getting to romantic for my taste,but I like how Clary defended herself against the demons and "spoiler" thrusting the sword into fake Jace. Simon and Isabella relationship was also my favorite, and I can't wait reading more about them in the next book. The bite scence was pretty intense. I was like go Simon. I should have rooted for him to be with Clary because he's way cooler than Jace, but Isabella is cooler than Clary, and you forgot to talk about Sebastian. He's so evil and weird. I think I hate him more than his father. Great review I like how you state the pros and cons.

message 41: by Nicole (last edited Jun 18, 2012 01:52AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nicole I agree with all of this so much. I'm so glad I'm not alone! I'm so exasperated with Clary and Jace. I cannot deal with the idea of a person, or people, who would literally let the world implode if it meant they could be together. I don't like selfish, reckless love; I don't find that romantic or endearing. I'm so glad this book doesn't focus entirely on them, or I'd be done with it.

message 42: by Noor (new) - rated it 4 stars

Noor I agree with you i love Izzy and simon and cant wait to see how their relationship grows!

I have no idea where I fall,
I don't mindlessly love jace and clary. I loved the first trilogy but feel like it ended abruptly I like the fact that there is the second trilogy. I am reading them for the sake of finding out how their story ends, it's good! And in general love the concept of shadowhunters. So I dunno am I an exception or are there others out there like me??

Belinda (TheBookBuddies) Damn, I agree with your review COMPLETELY. I think I'm one of the very few people that was actually glad the series continued after Glass, and I was actually expecting it. Clare already hinted at it from the fact that Sebastian's body was never found and I'm pretty sure bringing someone back from the dead would have major consequences. Of course, I was right. That's more about Fallen Angels though. Anywho, Izzy and Simon are indeed my fave couple and Magnus and Alex were a close second. I don't think I'm ever going to completely like Clary, ever. That scene made me want to somehow magically jump into their universe so I could smash her head against something hard. The ending KILLED me as well, I was just so shocked. I legit looked at the book with an :'O face.

Rashika (is tired) okay i LOVE your review.. i agree with EVERYTHING you had to say.. and i was sooo sad about alec and magnus.. they happen to be my fav couple and when they broke up i was so pissed. as for clary i swear i wish i could slap her because she kept on forgetting that Jace isnt the center of the universe.
in the end i cannot wait till 2014 because i want to know if alec and magnus end up together and if they dont.. cassie is going to get a piece of my mind!

message 45: by Ktine (new)

Ktine I belong to the 4th category :))

Royce 100 percent agreeing on comments about alec and magnus

message 47: by willaful (new)

willaful It did indeed *totally* piss me off, but she redeemed herself at the end. Mostly.

Amanda (BookMuffins) Are there any type of fans that just love the books, but do not fit into any of the categories above? I'm just wondering...

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

even though Clare is standing up and risking the fact that less people will buy her books by using gay characters I don't appreciate her stereotypical view on gays , Magnus for example with all the glitter and makeup its hard to relate to the gay characters that way, also whilst reading the book it wasn't made clear if have knows that clary was nearly raped?

message 50: by willaful (new)

willaful Sammy wrote: "even though Clare is standing up and risking the fact that less people will buy her books by using gay characters I don't appreciate her stereotypical view on gays , Magnus for example with all the..."

That might bother me if he was the only gay character (although strictly speaking, he's bi) or if all the gay characters were like that, but he isn't and they're not. I think it's more of a reflection of the fact that he's very old and life has gotten kind of boring.

« previous 1