Elaine's Reviews > The Torn Up Marriage

The Torn Up Marriage by Caroline   Roberts

I really liked this family relationship drama. There are no chills or thrills here; it is just a very well told story of a marriage that has disintegrated. When Michael walks out on his wife Kate and their two young children into the arms of another woman, Kate is left to pick up the pieces. It all felt so realistic as Kate mourned the death of her marriage whilst at the same time getting the children to school and nursery and making sure there is enough food in the fridge. We got really inside Kate’s head and were with her every step of the way over the course of the weeks and months that follow Michael’s departure. The book shows all the events that would normally follow a marriage break up; letting friends and family know, keeping in touch with the in-laws as well as the elephant in the room – the other woman whose presence cannot be ignored. We also see the effect it has on the children who not only miss their daddy but also have his new girlfriend to get to know.

It is a very simple, easy to read story that is quite touching at times, with characters whose lives you get really drawn into. There were times when I really hated Michael for what he was doing to Kate but equally there were times that I wanted to shout at Kate as well.

These are just ordinary people, there is nothing special about them, whose ordinary lives have been torn apart in a very compelling read. Many thanks to the publisher for the review copy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Torn Up Marriage.

February 28, 2015 – Started Reading