Jane Stewart's Reviews > Ellora's Cavemen: Legendary Tails IV

Ellora's Cavemen by Jaid Black

Sep 13, 2010

bookshelves: erotic-contemporary-romance, erotic-paranormal-romance, erotic-science-fiction-romance
Read in December, 2008

Six short stories with erotic sex scenes. Might be worth buying for one short story?

I read this book in 2008 and gave 3 stars or less to all of the stories. I reread this recently and ended up skimming five of the stories. But one story definitely kept my interest and I decided to raise the stars from 3 to 4. See Seeds of Yesterday below.

4 stars for SEEDS OF YESTERDAY by Jaid Black.
In 2008 I wrote the following “It was a good story and well told, but I didn’t like the couple staying away from each other due to poor communication and inaccurate assumptions about each other.” On my second read in 2017 I didn’t mind that - at all. (I changed my mind! I’m not being consistent! What’s wrong with me?) Here’s the story. Trina and Amy are best friends in high school. Amy is into drugs, Trina is not. When Amy’s mother smelled weed Amy blamed it on Trina. So Amy’s parents and brother Daniel don’t like Trina. They think she is a bad influence on Amy. When Daniel talks to Trina, Trina uses “aint” and other poor grammar and pretends to be a slacker - when in truth she is an A student. On my second read I saw this as Trina being ornery and getting weird satisfaction by acting like that in front of Daniel. It made her interesting. So now, I see my 2008 opinion as too rigid.

Other parts of the story: Trina is attracted to Daniel but she doesn’t act on it (for reasons above). After high school Trina leaves town and does not see Daniel for years. Amy dies 14 years later. Trina comes to town for something else but attends Amy’s funeral which happens to be at the same time. She and Daniel finally connect - lustfully and love.

DATA:
Narrative mode: alternating 1st and 3rd person. Story length: 56 pages. Swearing language: mild plus s*** used once or twice. Sexual language: erotic. Number of sex scenes: 3. Setting: current day small town in Ohio and England. Copyright: 2005. Genre: erotic contemporary romance.

Below are my ratings and reviews of the other 5 stories - from my 2008 review.

3 stars for KEEPER OF TOMORROWS by Ravyn Wilde.
I enjoyed this. There were some creative ideas, for example: binding pollen. During sex, Talon's skin is covered with pollen which is an aphrodisiac to Raine. Talon comes to earth from another realm. He needs to mate with Raine and convert her to his species so together they can fight a soul vampire, which recently came to earth from another realm.

Narrative mode: 3rd person. Story length: 45 pages. Sexual language: erotic. Number of sex scenes: four. Setting: current day earth and another realm. Copyright: 2005. Genre: erotic paranormal romance.

3 stars for ORGASM FAIRY by Ashleigh Raine.
Story was ok. After Cammie dies she is an orgasm fairy, giving orgasms to living humans but cannot experience any herself in her fairy form. She then meets Neal.

Narrative mode: 3rd person. Story length: 48 pages. Sexual language: erotic. Number of sex scenes: five. Setting: current day unspecified town. Copyright: 2005. Genre: erotic paranormal romance.

2 stars for OVERCOME by Marly Chance.
Ok, but I found myself a little bit wanting it to end. Rowan is a secret agent who stole some plans from the Lansorians and is imprisoned by them. Flynn is hired by the Lansorians to seduce her in prison to find out what she knows.

Narrative mode: 3rd person. Story length: 41 pages. Sexual language: erotic. Number of sex scenes: one lengthy. Setting: future time on the planet Lansor. Copyright: 2005. Genre: erotic science fiction romance.

2 stars for A LOVE ETERNAL by N.J. Walters.
A little different. Ok. A woman with a brain tumor meets Death, who calls himself Seth. They meet before she is to die.

Narrative mode: 3rd person. Story length: 41 pages. Sexual language: erotic. Number of sex scenes: four. Setting: current day unspecified town. Copyright: 2005. Genre: erotic paranormal romance.

1 star for SECRETS WE KEEP by Mandy M. Roth.
There was a nice platonic relationship between Trisha and Dane. However, I did not like that they loved and wanted each other for seven years but stayed apart because of vague communication and inaccurate assumptions about each other - a pet peeve of mine.

Narrative mode: 3rd person. Story length: 35 pages. Sexual language: erotic. Number of sex scenes: three. Setting: current day unspecified town. Copyright: 2005. Genre: erotic paranormal romance.

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ellora's Cavemen.

01/19 marked as: read