Tracie's Reviews > Ringworld

1199613
Sep 12, 2010

did not like it
Read in January, 2010

I would say this was more like 1 1/2 stars. It was mildly interesting for me to keep reading. I did want to know what was going to happen. You can definitely tell this was written in 1970 though as it is one of the most sexist and demeaning books I've read. Female characters are just awful and poorly written. One is the naive, young, beautiful, "lucky" girl who needs to be protected and coddled by the "hero." The only other female character is a prostitute. Enough said there. The women in this story only exist and interact with the men. They are plot devices and objects for the men, not real characters.

This book gets way bogged down in technical details. For those who like hard science fiction, they probably like this. But me, it just distracts from the story. Which meandered and went all over the place. I liked the alien world and the alien characters were enjoyable. Still...I really don't know why this was an award winner. I didn't live during that time period so maybe it was great for then. But growing up in the millennium, this book kind of sucks. Will NOT be reading the rest of this series.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ringworld.