Chris (The Genre Fiend)'s Reviews > Cold Days

Cold Days by Jim Butcher

I understand why this, and the preceding two books, happened. Familiarity breeds contempt, and shaking up the status quo was the shot in the arm Dresden needed after the mediocre middle stretch from Proven Guilty through to Small Favour.

But having said that, I'm glad this shot has finally entered and been absorbed into the bloodstream. Changes rocked, Ghost Story was troublesome, and now we have Cold Days, one of the hardest Dresden books for me to put an opinion of into words.

I didn't *dislike* it, but it was a far cry from the glory days for me. I still hold the run from Grave Peril through Dead Beat as the series' high watermark, and everything since then has just been a little disappointing in comparison. Dealing with that comparison in Cold Days is also compounded by how weird the story's structure is, even by Dresden standards. Sure, things get resolved, questions answered and new ones asked, but it's like Ghost Story; it goes to unexpected places, and not entirely for the better. I'm also not keen on the lack of certain characters until later in the book (Karrin) or, more egregiously, at all (Maggie and the Carpenters, alluded to heavily but never making an appearance).

I've heard Skin Game rights the scales a little, and is generally a more enjoyable, salad days-style read, so I hope that's the case. There's a lot to like in Cold Days - the final 100 pages grab you by the shoulders and shake you up until the end - and it's great that we're slightly getting back to the kind of magic-detective story that made up better entries like Summer Knight. But at the end, I'm glad I'm done with Cold Days not necessarily because it was amazing, but because I'm glad I can move on to the next phase.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cold Days.

February 27, 2015 – Shelved