Charity's Reviews > From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg

bookshelves: kids, re-read
Read 2 times. Last read June 19, 2018 to June 27, 2018.

While reading this aloud to my son, it was funny to recall some of the little, tangential things I remember from when I first read this book in fifth grade. Like how the kids in my class were amused and a little confused by the fact that the protagonist is named Claudia, and there was a boy in our reading group named Claudio. And how the idea of an automat seemed so exotic and exciting, whereas now it just seems like a recipe for food poisoning.

Mostly I was surprised at just how many details from the book I remembered. I thought there would be some surprises because I had to have forgotten important details in the 30-odd years since I last read it, but no. It was almost all there. I lost some of the visit in Chapter 9 (but not Claudia's bath), and I had no memory at all of the significance (or even the existence) of Saxonberg, but that wasn't terribly exciting anyway.

It was a great book to share with my son, even though reading it revealed that the bedtime story I made up for him and his sister about them stowing away in the Library of Congress after closing time wasn't as original and genius as they might have thought beforehand.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler.

December 22, 1986 – Started Reading