Donald Jessop's Reviews > Marked

Marked by Sarah Fine

Feb 26, 2015

*** Reader copy provided by the Publisher ***
*** Goodreads rating 4.5 / 5 stars. Rounded up ***

I wasn't sure what to expect when I started reading Marked, but what I got was a surprisingly engaging novel that had a number of plot twists and thoroughly engaging characters. Cacy and her extended family are part of the Ferrys and the head of the family is the Charon. Those familiar with Greek Mythology will see where the genesis of the novel began as Charon guided the souls over the river Styx. Cacy and her family perform a similar function, shepherding souls into Heaven or Hell.

Into Cacy's life comes Eli, her paramedic partner and the first person to penetrate the "no man allowed" wall that she put up after she escorted the soul of her last lover into the Afterlife. At this point things start to get complicated.

Sarah Fine does an excellent job at combining mythology and a futuristic world after an ecological collapse brings most of the nation to its knees. Add into this world a plot where no one is really what they seem and you have the makings of an excellent story. Sarah Fine delivers a fun romp that captured my attention from the first page.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marked.

February 21, 2015 – Started Reading