Michelle's Reviews > The One That Got Away

The One That Got Away by Bethany Chase

bookshelves: 2015, chick-lit, women-s-fiction, arc

Charming book I gobbled up in one sitting on a plane. I have an ARC, which doesn't have the final (amazing) cover art, so I was going to say that it is perfect for Emily Giffin fans (but even better ;) ). Then I see that Emily Giffin has a blurb on the cover! Perfect match! In this, protagonist Sarina is an about-to-be married architect who ends up working on a project with an ex. While this might sounds like standard fare, what sets this book apart is the sharp, funny writing, the Austin setting (love when an author ventures outside of the typical New York!), the delicious descriptions of homes and interiors (descriptions of the Blue Ridge Mountains are also spectacular), and perhaps, most of all, the beautiful, moving relationship between Sarina and her stepfather. It is so refreshing to read something where the main character does have some "pain" from her childhood but it's not because her parents were negligent or selfish jerks. Their relationship is such a highlight of the book. On top of this, I love how important Sarina's career is to her...it's not a sideshow as it is in most books of this genre. Overall wonderfully executed and just plain fun to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The One That Got Away.

Started Reading