Ahmad Al-mahir's Reviews > Fires in the Mind: What Kids Can Tell Us about Motivation and Mastery

Fires in the Mind by Kathleen Cushman

Feb 26, 2015

bookshelves: education, parenting

I liked it for the insights into effective learning presented from the students' point of view. I managed to find new ideas and rediscover nuggets of information that can probably help me frame my teaching (and students' learning) better and more effectively. The relevant checklists and questionnaires are pretty helpful. Overall I found her book easy to read although a bit repetitive at times (e.g. when she has a quote of the student raising a point and then touch on it again without much to add in her own body of text later on). I found the case studies at the end of the book a little unsatisfying. I would have liked to know a little more about how/if the objectives of the projects have been met (maybe contrasted with how different the results may have been otherwise). This book is definitely worth a read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fires in the Mind.

February 26, 2015 – Shelved
February 26, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
February 27, 2015 – Started Reading
March 1, 2015 –
page 70
37.43% "Initial takeaway: students start things, work on them and obtain mastery via opportunities offered and deliberate practice, with solid support and encouragement. 3 chapters into why students get started, why they persevere and identifying the habits of experts."
March 21, 2015 – Finished Reading