Erma Odrach's Reviews > The Diaries of Sofia Tolstoy

The Diaries of Sofia Tolstoy by Sofia Tolstaya

Sep 11, 2010

bookshelves: to-read

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diaries of Sofia Tolstoy.

message 1: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie I would like to read this too - think if you win it!! I will cross my fingers for you.

message 2: by Erma (new) - added it

Erma Odrach I normally don't win things, except once I won a make-up kit. Maybe I'll get lucky. Plan to read it anyway. Stones in a Landslide sounds really good too.

message 3: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie YES, Stones was good.

But check out what you think of the prose of the Diaries. I just checked it at Amazon. i was not that impressed. Hmph. I am not sure......

message 4: by Erma (new) - added it

Erma Odrach Prose aside, her depiction of Russian life and living with Tolstoy, who was apparently a very difficult man, will still come across as interesting. Who knows when I'll get to it, though. Too many books!

message 5: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie I feel the same wy. I WANT to read the book due to its subject, but the question is will the prose aid or detract from the reading? Perhaps the style is simply a very correct display of her emotions that can be hard to understand/accept for me. That is my fault, not the book's or the autho's. There is another new book about the end of Tolstoy's life. You have heard of that haven't you? I will seach the name if you do not know of it. I wanted to read both together.

message 6: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie It is the book by Jay Parini entitledThe Last Station: A Novel of Tolstoy's Last Year. It is this author that comments in the book description of the Diaries of Sophia Tolstoy

message 7: by Erma (new) - added it

Erma Odrach No, I never read it, but it's a good idea to read them together, I think I'll do that too.