Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede's Reviews > Sidney Chambers and the Shadow of Death

Sidney Chambers and the Shadow of Death by James Runcie

Feb 25, 2015

liked it
bookshelves: read-2015

I would be lying if I said that I enjoyed this book more than I enjoyed watching the first season of Grantchester. Don't take me wrong, I enjoyed this book and its six short stories (some better than the others), but still, I liked the TV-show better.

Why? Hmmm let's see Sidney Chambers, Vicar played by James Norton. He looks like a young Robert Redford. He is a great character and I like him in the book, but I truly enjoyed watching him on the telly...

Then we have Inspector Geordie Keating played by Robson Green. I loved him since I first saw him on Wire in the Blood. Geordie Keating is a real plus in the book, a police inspector and a vicar that works together...brilliant!

So read the book if you like cozy British mystery books, but watch the show if you want to be dazed by the hotness of these two men...and great stories of course!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sidney Chambers and the Shadow of Death.

February 25, 2015 – Started Reading
February 25, 2015 – Shelved
February 25, 2015 –
page 52
13.27% "Feels odd to read a book that is not an ARC or part of a blog tour lol..."
February 25, 2015 –
page 82
20.92% "The first story of six is done! Now time to work..."
March 8, 2015 –
page 148
April 20, 2015 –
page 218
55.61% "Trying to finish some books that I have started but put aside..."
April 20, 2015 –
page 251
April 21, 2015 –
page 282
April 21, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2015
April 21, 2015 – Finished Reading

Dawn James Norton makes the character even more likeable. Totally agree with your review!

Piepie I watched the entire show all in one day! James Norton just makes the show ;) Loved him!!

Riley Here, here!

Riley Whoops! I mean: hear, hear! My imaginary Sidney couldn't quite compete with James Norton. But I did appreciate that the book was not exactly like the show, and all the mysteries were still mysterious.

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede Yes, the book was still good and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the books in the series (and also watching season 2 of Grantchester;))

Yeah, Sidney in the book is just not...James Norton...;)

message 6: by Lena (new)

Lena Rare the whole TV/Movie-Better-Than-Book, I'll have to add it to the list which currently includes The Virgin Suicides and Jaws.

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede Lena wrote: "Rare the whole TV/Movie-Better-Than-Book, I'll have to add it to the list which currently includes The Virgin Suicides and Jaws."

I agree with you about Jaws, never read The Virgin Suicides so I can't say if the movie is better or not. :)

message 8: by Lena (new)

Lena Neither are a must-experience.

Margaret Agree completely - I think the TV writers have done a terrific job of making the key elements into something much better.

Anna (Curiosity comes before Kay) Never seen Wire in the Blood, but I know Robson Green from an awful (but cute!) retelling of Cyrano de Bergerac, The Student Prince. Love him and now I have to watch Grantchester! :)

message 11: by Mamansaepudinn (new)

Mamansaepudinn Info toxic goiter traditional medicine is right you can find here salusinya

Debbi I totally agree with you!

message 13: by Rochelle (new)

Rochelle Ward I have been wondering about the books. I love the TV show.

Susan Ha ha. You said it, girlfriend!