Rhea Dsouza's Reviews > Liars, Inc.

Liars, Inc. by Paula Stokes

19034087

bookshelves: 365-days-of-ya, edelweiss, favorites-2015

Enter here to win mini swag-packs and signed copies of Liars, INC, open INTERNATIONALLY.

To me, Mother Nature isn't nearly as scary as human nature.”

Can we just start with the sheer truth that is this quote? I mean, how many of us have thought about this at some point but have not been able to put it into words with the simplicity that Paula Stokes did?

Liars, INC, the entire concept of the story can be explained by just one quote:
“The truth doesn't get you very far on the streets, or in a group home, or even in high school. That's probably why the idea of Liars, Inc. appealed to me. Everybody lies. You might as well get paid for it.”

Max Cantrell, with his friend Preston and his girlfriend Parvati, starts a fictional company Liars, INC, where they sketch—what else?—extensive lies for the sake of making easy bucks.

Wanna forge a permission slip? You got it!

Wanna go out for a date but you’ve got curfew? We’ll fake a fictional study night for ya.

Really want to go to that party tonight? We’ll make it happen.

And when Preston himself needs a cover story, obviously he’s going to get one for free. Employee benefits, after all. But when Preston turns out dead and Max is being framed, all bets are off.

If I had to choose among each character, I would say Max was my favorite. Max was an orphan—his mother died when he was born and his father had died young because of a heart attack. He was adopted by another family but ran away and finally found his home with the Cantrell family in Vista Palisades.

Max had a voice that was original and funny and gripping. His was the kind of narrative that kept me hooked to the book until the end, unwilling to let go until he was proven innocent. He was insecure, awkward and even self-depreciating at times, but it felt very authentic coming from him, considering Paula Stokes is, you know, not a teenage boy.

As a character, Max underwent a lot of changes from the beginning to the end. After finishing the book, there was this brief moment where I realised exactly how much his thinking, his perception, hell, how much he had changed. From this vulnerable boy who overcame a ton of shit throughout the course of the book, it was a surprise to see.

Parvati, on the other hand, is a character I’ve still not been able to make up my mind on. I mean, I liked her, definitely (she is the type of character that grows on you) but she’s also the type of person who’s very pally but will stab you when you turn away. Now who likes those type of people? Who?

Not me, definitely.

But, like I said, this grumpy, half-Indian, rebel grew on me and while I didn’t love her, I definitely was shipping the ship. EVEN THOUGH PARVATI DID CERTAIN STUFF I DIDN’T LIKE AND I WILL NEVER FORGIVE HER FOR. Being a person of color myself, I definitely appreciated the diversity Parvati bought into the book but overall, I really didn’t care for her too much. An important character, this one, but she didn’t leave too much of a lasting impression me, unfortunately.

As for the story itself? So fucking good, readers. An entire book based on lies and their repercussions is rare enough, but with the writing in this book? Pure. Fucking. Gold. From the whys and the hows, down to the clues that seemed to be scattered all around the book, waiting for the reader to pick up on them, Liars, INC is thrills and chills, all the way through. There was a point in the novel, where I even feared the honesty of the narrator…but you’re going to have to see for yourself :)

And I’m not even going to delve into the details of the book for fear of giving away too much but remember this: You need Liars, INC in your life. Trust me, you need it.

Overall, this book turned out to be one of my favorite reads of this year, if not one of the best thrillers in the YA genre. I’m so excited to see how readers will react to this mind-fuck of a novel :P

And Paula Stokes? You win at life, woman. Truly. You win.

*I was provided a free ecopy of this book in exchange of an honest review. This did not in any way, however, influence the content of this review.*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Liars, Inc..

Quotes Rhea Liked

Paula Stokes
Paula Stokes, Liars, Inc.

February 25, 2015 – Started Reading
February 25, 2015 – Shelved
March 3, 2015 –
13.0% "Something tells me I'm not going to stop reading this book until I finish it in one go."
March 3, 2015 –
50.0% "I like this, you guys. I like this soooo much."
85.0% "WHAAAAAAAAAAA"