Dey Martin's Reviews > Anger is an Energy: My Life Uncensored

Anger is an Energy by John Lydon

liked it

The world according to Johnny Rotten: Or, How I leveraged Sex Pistols fame to become a TV celebrity!

Rotten Tells All: Keith Levine's a C**t

This bio should set the record straight and cement Lydon's legacy with his version - the real story. Is their a JL presidential library in the works?! I'm kidding.

In fairness I should say that, no, I did not read his other earlier opus.

I really loved this bio. I laughed out loud many times. So funny funny funny. Hilarious!!!

In it Lydon is very forthcoming about his relationships with friends and band mates and he pulls no punches. He ridicules and in no uncertain terms flatly curses those that have been self serving and greedy and stupid in friendship, and business dealings. I.e. A&M Records who signed then instantly dropped the Sex Pistols when Herb Albert discovered that this vile and troublesome British band had been signed to his label. I think they were dropped in two days. LOL.

Or when Pistols members routinely accused Johnny of not being able to sing (duh) but then years later formed a short-lived Sex Pistols copy band, sans Lydon (he said no way am I doing a Pistols reunion), with a Rotten style copy cat singer. What a bunch of pilferers! Ha!

His relationship and reluctant association with Malcolm McLaren his "manager" is laid out in truth and we see what a talentless, gutless and greedy do-nothing Malcolm really was.

But it is obvious that John also has a heart of gold and that he accepted and stood by his closest friends' idiosyncrasies (a nice way to put it) and all, and often helped them through very difficult times (drug addiction). All this while basically footing the bill for parties and tours that many times were disastrous bombs.

I should say though that he rambles and pontificates and offers up advice and so much of it I did not care to read about. Like okay John, we don't fucking care that you rarely brushed your green rotten teeth. Haha.

After so many kicks in the face he kept on taking risks and falling down again and again but somehow Lydon survived and now prospers as an anti-hero, PIL frontman and step-father. It is because of his determination to make the best out of the 'shitstem' he was born into but I also think his ability to seize on and capitalize on opportunity and to never quit that is his greatest asset. Lesson learned. Thanks John. May the road rise with you.

It is also divulged that JL is an expatriate and now a US citizen that he is quite proud of. One reason he gave for the switch: The British government never let up on him after a years ago drug conviction and this mark on his record made international travel very taxing.

Anyhow just read it. It's a kick in the arse. But like I said there many times where you'll think, damn John, this is waaay too much information; TMI!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anger is an Energy.

February 23, 2015 – Shelved
February 23, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
May 6, 2015 – Started Reading
May 8, 2015 –
page 40
7.71% "Already laughing out loud. "Aye reet. Ah goat hit wi' an axe!" Priceless."
May 11, 2015 –
page 100
19.27% "Easy read and funny. The Sex Pistols were actually a boy (bad boy) band?! Ha."
May 13, 2015 –
page 211
40.66% "Aaaargh!"
May 14, 2015 –
page 285
54.91% "Actors: all you are is a coat hanger of sorts. JL"
May 15, 2015 –
page 384
73.99% "A rant and a whine but a real kick in the pants."
May 15, 2015 –