Veronica of V's Reads's Reviews > Waiting for the Flood

Waiting for the Flood by Alexis  Hall

bookshelves: adult, male-male, romance, contemporary, grief-loss

I really enjoyed this quiet gay romance.

Edwin is a 31 y/o gay book restorer living in Oxford. Three years ago he bought the house with his long-time boyfriend, Marius, but Marius had (tearfully) left, citing his having changed feelings for Edwin. Marius was a larger than life, exuberant artist, and meticulous, bookish Edwin feels quite shabby as the discarded lover, a rather unlovable sort. Edwin lives a very quiet life in his house, which sits in the middle of a flood plain. He hasn't really tried to get over Marius, and is crippled by his shyness and a speech impediment.

The book begins with rain. Because England.

Still, this is a lot of rain, and the forecast is for flooding. Edwin has no vehicle and can't go get sandbags, but a helpful Emergency Aide worker, Adam, is able to get him sandbags from a nearby truck. Adam is the civil engineer actually managing this disaster, and spends some time with Edwin and his fellow neighbors, teaching them how to construct proper barricades to keep the water out of their homes.

Edwin is attracted to the burly, ginger engineer, but his fear of speaking leads to some awkwardness. Also, Edwin has a true confidence problem. His only real relationship had been with Marius, and it lasted ten years. Edwin fears giving room in his heart to anyone new, anyone who could hurt him.

And yet...
He tilted his head curious, eyes so steady on mine.

His attention. Sweet and intense at the same time. Like a barley sugar I could untwist from its plastic and hold in my mouth. A flood of secret pleasure. Everybody else I know is so used to me. I don't think I bore them---at least, I hope I don't---but I'm everyday, and in some very small way he was making me feel like Sunday best.

Adam makes his interest clear, but Edwin cannot initially accept it. His emotional damage is pretty intense. Still, over the three days of rain, Edwin finally sees within himself the spark that first attracted Marius. He feels lovable, and attractive, for the first time in years. He allows his barriers to drop, and ventures into Real Life again, for a blessed change.

This is a quiet romance, so there's little more than a few kisses that make the page. Still, I felt as if Edwin was a very dear man, and I so wanted him to find happiness, or at least TRY to find it, with Adam. I'm glad to say he does. The book was quick-read for me, and this Anglophile was charmed by the Brit setting, speech and manner.

I received a copy of this book via NetGalley for review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waiting for the Flood.

Started Reading