Adam Zabell's Reviews > Inspired: How To Create Products Customers Love

Inspired by Marty Cagan

M 50x66

bookshelves: business

tl;dr - products need prototypes, are grounded in answering emotions, and can always be improved.

Product management starts with this book. If you want be one, start here, then go find something that talks about the products in your field of interest, or describes the process by which you get yourself hired, or the way you raise capital to fund your own product. But, start here to learn what it means to build a product quickly and successfully.

Not that you're guaranteed success. Especially when you're working for somebody else, your ability to drive a product from an Idea to a Sale is going to require negotiation with every other part of the business. Most people are used to thinking that the idea in their head is the idea that will get delivered, even though there are a dozen people working on the product. And most companies aren't actually committed to the idea of having a person who owns the Idea of a product, allowing the role to be implied by a project manager or chief architect or lead engineer.

It's clear this is a book that was built from blog posts, because there's some repetition of phrasing which made me wonder if I'd misplaced my bookmark. Normally that feels like sloppy editing, but here it felt like a successful lecturer who returns to a few key phrases to remind you of the previous point and how it aligns with this next one.

I wish I'd read this book a year ago. It answers 90% of the questions I had at the time, long before I acquired the title of "product manager."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inspired.

Started Reading