Jo ★The Book Sloth★'s Reviews > The Unleashing

The Unleashing by Shelly Laurenston

4.5 Love SL Stars

Contrary to what the pic might suggest the book isn't dark.

Dying isn't fun, but dying and coming back as a member of a crew of homocidal bitches is really tricky. Kera is grateful for her second chance at life but the conditions that come with it... not so sure. She is too uptight and moral for the group of crazy ladies, otherwise known as the Crows, warrior women that literally bring death everywhere they go and they love it.

The one positive thing about her new life? Her savior who turns out isn't damaged. Vig the Viking is one hot and reliable guy to have around and his helping Kera get used to her new life(among other things) makes things a bit easier for her.

I'll be the first person to tell you that this book isn't memorable at all. It is a no-brainer, have-fun-at-the-moment kind of book. It is funny and fast and easy to read but just 4 days after reading it I remember almost nothing. So the 4.5 stars are because I had fun at the moment, not because I think that this book is a literary treasure(and let's be honest, I never read these).

So... The book has what I call the SL characters. They were all slightly crazy, a lot chaotic, very badass and completely unrealistic. Just how I love them. You don't try to get into their place, you don't get involved in their problems, you just laugh at their madness. Still I can't say that either Kera or Vig were of my favorite characters by the author. The Crows did remind me of Kresley Cole's Valkyries a bit...Maybe that's why I loved it.

The book was completely drama free, even Kera's struggle with accepting that her previous life was over wasn't blown out of proportion. It was fast and action filled and light on the romance. I loved seeing the Norse mythology(even inaccurate) and fantasizing about all these Vikings gathered in one place. And I'm really interested in learning more about the Clans and their members. The book was slightly confusing at the beginning with all these stuff thrown to the reader with almost no explenationg but it got better on that aspect.

Generally it was a nice, fun book to pass a few hours and laugh a little.

******************************************************

I got an ARC! I got an ARC!! I got an ARC!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unleashing.

February 23, 2015 – Started Reading
March 2, 2015 – Shelved as: kick-ass-heroine
March 2, 2015 – Shelved as: magic
March 2, 2015 – Shelved as: mythology
March 2, 2015 – Shelved as: paranormal

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

*P*u*r*p*l*e* Masochist I saw it on Netgalley, but didn't press the button since I've too many arcs right now. waiting for you review. ;)

Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books) Yay! I got this one as well. I hope it proves to be good.

Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books) 5 Stars?! Can't wait to read it now.

message 6: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo ★The Book Sloth★ Do keep in mind that I'm easy Carole.:-P

If a book makes me laugh I five-star it no matter its flaws. The book has a few. But if you like SL, you'll probably like it too.

Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books) I rate pretty easily too. I don't think I have ever read this author.

I am ready for something that isn't romance. I am overloaded with romance ARCs right now.

Cathy I have this on my NetGalley shelf, too. Sounds promising.

message 9: by Davia (new) - added it

Davia Good for you it is exciting looking forward to the review

message 10: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo ★The Book Sloth★ I love this authors. The books aren't serious at all and all the characters are too crazy to be realistic at all, but I laugh so...

Carole this PNR. True, this one isn't that heavy on Romance but it is there.

Aisling Zena Great review Jo! Love Shelly Laurenston :)

message 12: by Rita (new)

Rita Webb Awesome review! I so want to read this.

message 13: by Pam (new)

Pam Wonderful review, Jo :)

message 14: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo ★The Book Sloth★ Thank you all, ladies.:-)

message 15: by Exina (new)

Exina Terrific review, Jo!

Timelord Iain I think this reads like a TV pilot... in a hurry to setup a lot of characters/setting/etc... but not much time leftover for a big plot... 2nd book looks promising in that regard, I hope, considering the ending...

Timelord Iain Just to be clear... I rated this 5-stars too... love this author