N.L.B. Horton's Reviews > The Sacred River

The Sacred River by Wendy Wallace

U 50x66

I first read fiction about Egypt via the late Barbara Mertz, aka Elizabeth Peters. She is a hard act to follow. I’m not a romance reader, so was wary about a book that markets itself as a “vivid, romantic novel” about three women debarking for far off lands. But I’m glad I read it.

WHAT I LIKED: Wallace captures the locations from London to Luxor beautifully. Her characters are interesting and engaging, and I cared about what happened to them. The romance was minimal and respectfully handled—not degrading in any way. It served a purpose other than fulfilling Victorian expectations. The three ladies (Harriet, Louisa, and Yael) broke barriers as they explored the world between the living and the dead. I appreciated Wallace's inclusion of religion with archaeology, especially since, at least in Egypt, the topics are inextricably intertwined. Her technical descriptions were just enough, and accurate.

WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN BETTER: The novel was easy to anticipate. I read the first half and knew how it would end. I would have enjoyed a few plot twists.

Recommended, especially for readers who enjoy the work of the late Barbara Mertz.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sacred River.

February 23, 2015 – Started Reading