Kristy's Reviews > Life As We Knew It

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Sep 09, 2010

bookshelves: i-think-you-should-read-this, realistic

This is the kind of book I love. This is the kind of book I wish more schools were reading. The discussions and papers on this would just be so awesome.

Thoughts/questions going through my mind:

*Would I want to survive?
*Would I leave my home or stay?
*How could I leave?
*Why did Mrs. Nesbitt not move in?
*What would my role in surving have been?
*What would they have done without a wood stove?
*Will things ever get back to normal?
*What modern convience would I miss the most?
*What's the likelyhood my 4 year old son would have survived? (I know that's kind of morbid sounding, but I thought about him the whole time reading this)
*Are we headed for armegeddon?
*My parents, could I convince them to move in with me?
*What about the poor people?
*Are the rich/upper class more likely to survive?
*Where is the next book going to take us?
* Is the ash in the air going to kill everyone?
* Why are they not wearing masks or wet rags everywhere?
* Is the Mom going to die?
* What is up with Matt (towards the end)??
* Why do they not just get rid of their pet? Seems like just another mouth to feed and extra work?
*Why did the Mom let Johnny go to Baseball camp?
*What is the importance of Peter's character? or Dan's?
*How many new "believers"/converts happened basically overnight? Why?

I'm sure there are tons more, but the point I'm trying to make is this book made me think. I like that. I want #2 now.

This is written in journal format, I have had 50/50 luck with that. This is on the awesome side of that percentage.

Geez, I lurves a end of the world book!

READ THIS!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life As We Knew It.

September 9, 2010 – Shelved
June 20, 2012 – Started Reading
June 20, 2012 –
page 115
34.12% "I am digging this!!!"
June 21, 2012 –
page 200
59.35% "I want to be at Home reading this!!! work always gets in the way!!"
June 25, 2012 – Shelved as: i-think-you-should-read-this
June 25, 2012 – Shelved as: realistic
June 25, 2012 – Finished Reading

Cara Love the review Kristy! My favorite scene was the Chrismtas scene. Kind of got be teary-eyed there. One of the questions that I had once I finished was why nobody attacked them for their food? I'm betting that would have happened and I wonder what would they have done to protect themselves? I haven't read any of the other books in the series. But people love The Dead and the Gone who has a guy as the main character. Then people hate the third book This World We Live In. It will be cool to see what you think;)

Kristy That christmas scene was played out so well! You are right, I thought those neighbors (who had the sick wife) were scamming them to see what they had.... but I was wrong. AHHHHH, I can't believe you haven't read the next book, I am drooling for it now! :)

Cara Haha:D I probably should get to it but there are so many books! Maybe I'll just cheat and see if you end up liking the second one and then reading it;)

Kristy #2 is on top of my list to go get asap.... It's going to be one of my on vacation reads :)

Cara Yay for some vacation time:) I will be waiting to see what you think!

Readforthandconquer @cara have not read the book, but i am confused. Despite other reviews complaining how Christianity is depicted in such a terrible way, how is there a CHRISTMAS scene that makes you tear up? Not meant to be judgemental, honestly curious how on EARTH people like this book

Cara It's hard to describe it without giving stuff away, but it's how Christmas is about family and the true meaning of giving gifts. It was such a wonderful family scene. But you are right it is represent the Christianity community in a negative light in my opinion. I think the reason why this book resonates is because of the evident change you see among the characters, and how much what you think matters changes a lot. I hope that clears it up a bit:)

Readforthandconquer @cara's reply
thanks its a little clearer know :)