snowgray's Reviews > The Coldest Winter Ever

The Coldest Winter Ever by Sister Souljah

Sep 09, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: fiction, realistic-fiction, young-adult-fiction

** spoiler alert ** I hated this book. It was "compelling" in the sense that I felt a compulsion to read it, because I had to know what was going to happen. But the main character was a jerk. Throughout the whole book, she made incredibly stupid choices. She was proud of her drug-dealing father. She turned on her mother and sisters once they lost their house to seizure by the FBI. She blew all of her money, lied, cheated, stole, etc. She was just... a jerk.

The author argues, in her "Reader's Guide" at the end, that Winter is realistic based on women in jail, and I do believe that's true. But I'm assuming that she wrote the book to offer Winter as a negative example. And if you have a few braincells to rub together, she is. But I can imagine a lot of high school students getting to the end of the book (when Winter FINALLY sees some consequences) and reacting as if Winter's arrest is something she could have avoided, as if she'd chosen a *mostly* fabulous lifestyle, but then made a mistake. Of course, if a reader doesn't make it to the end, Winter's life doesn't even look bad, to a shallow person: she has fresh, expensive clothes, and looks attractive; she is held in high esteem by many people; she manages to make money even while she's in a teenage group home, mostly by selling stolen goods. I think that's my real problem with the book: the author doesn't make it obvious enough that Winter is dumb, because Winter is the narrator. The tone is off somehow.

Plus, who wants to read 430 pages about a dumb person?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Coldest Winter Ever.

Started Reading
September 8, 2010 – Finished Reading
September 9, 2010 – Shelved
September 9, 2010 – Shelved as: fiction
September 9, 2010 – Shelved as: realistic-fiction
September 9, 2010 – Shelved as: young-adult-fiction

Sheera I LOVE your review and I totally agree. Winter is the dumbest character I have EVER read (and I've read some dumb characters)!!