Josephine Calabrese's Reviews > Tendrils of Life: A story of love, loss, and survival in the turmoil of the Korean War

Tendrils of Life by Owen Choi

F 50x66

Tendrils of Life by Owen Choi is a well written literary fiction and historical story which touched my heart. The author utilized some facts from history, documentaries, etc. There are illustrations of maps to help you visualize the various areas of the Korean War. I applaud the author. I rate this story five stars but in a sense I'm sorry I read this story because it is such an emotional one. I don't recommend this book to anyone who suffers from depression. Many times I discontinued reading this story. If this story was made into a film, I wouldn't wish to view it. I dreaded picking the book back up to read; the only reason I continued reading it further was because I was hoping the characters would get reunited with their loved ones.

The story depicts the catastrophic effects of wars, spoils of war:
families separated
family members killed
rape, etc.
Their instinct to survive, persevere, endure the torture they went through was greatly felt by me as a reader, as a human being. The various stories of the characters were heartbreaking. The characters walked around nearly dead searching for their loved ones. You'll read the stories of what so many people endured day after day only to get worse with the passing of time. Friends and strangers were willing to share what little they had left. This story had me continuously in tears.

There have been many wars, battles in the world, and most people don't wish to speak of the horrors they have experienced in their life. But, I believe such stories have to be written whether as nonfiction or fictional works to remind each of us how precious life is, to love each other; we don't know what tomorrow holds for us and our loved ones.

Josephine Calabrese
Writer, Lyricist, Publisher, Teacher

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tendrils of Life.

Started Reading